Pintrest

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

May 22nd Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –

Happy, Happy Hump Day! Hope y’all are having a FABULOUS Wednesday! I think the warm weather is finally here to stay and I am a happy, happy girl!! I think I woke up on the silly side of the bed and I can tell today is going to be very unproductive and I just don’t care. I think a soul needs a worthless day every now and again.

Last night I went to my twice monthly critique group, which I realize I forgot to tell you about when I went two weeks ago. It is a much larger group than the Wednesday writers’ workshop. In fact, it has gotten so large, they started splitting the group into two rooms so everyone would have a chance to read and get feedback. Truthfully, I am a little intimidated by the group. I am probably one of the youngest (nice change for once), but I am by far the person with the least formal education. These folks have more letters after their names than a bowl of alphabet soup. Sorry, I don’t read Keats or Thoreau and I am not in the habit of discussing esoteric philosophies, but what should I truly expect from a Princeton based group. PLEASE don’t get me wrong, they are a wonderful bunch of people and I really am enjoying the group; I’m just a little out of my element and feeling a bit inferior, but I’ll get over it. They are all please with the writing samples I have submitted for critique and they seem to value the comments I make on their work as well, so I guess I am starting to fit in. I have been bringing chapters from my new book, Simply by Chance, and spoon feeding it week to week. They are all eager for the next installment and the suggestions for changes have been minimal. Yup, I really need to work on my whole confidence issue.


Yesterday’s challenge was:

 

Did you see that?

 

It was late spring, early summer, I cannot remember exactly for it was so long ago, but still I will never forget the day. I was driving in the car with my mother. The day was picture perfect, the windows were open, and we were singing hopelessly off key to a song playing on the radio. We were on our way home, again I cannot remember exactly from where, but what happened next is burned into my memory. I was looking out the windshield, and through a break in the trees and perfectly center between some electrical wires, a silver orb goes whizzing past. The flight it took was not one of a straight line, but resembled a balloon that’s air had been let out. It swayed, swirled and darted. I blinked and asked my mom, “Did you see that?”


“What?” she asked.


“That!” I exclaimed and pointed at the strange object still partially in view.


My mother followed the direction I was pointing and did manage to catch a fleeting glimpse of what I had seen, then replied, “I haven’t a clue. Perhaps when we get closer we will be able to tell what it is.”


We drove on and slowed down to where we thought the object would have been, but saw nothing. We crawled along for the next mile or so and still saw nothing. We never did determine what we saw that day, but it was so bazaar I doubt my mother has forgotten the incident either.

 

For the record, this is a true account of something strange that happened to me when I was around fourteen years old. My mother and I were driving west on NJ Route 514 (Amwell Road to the locals) and we saw this thing, whatever it was in the area of Colonial Park. We even detoured a little and drove up Mettler’s Lane to see if we could find out what we saw, but as I said in the story, nothing. Nothing ever made the papers so I guess we were the only two who saw the strange object in the sky.

 

Your Next Challenge is:

 

Truth is stranger than fiction…

 
 

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment