Pintrest

Sunday, May 19, 2013

May 19th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –

Again I find myself apologizing for not posting, but I am sorry. Yesterday my brain simply shut off. I could not have strung words together to form a coherent sentence if my life had depended on it. Still not at 100%, but that may have more to do with the drizzly Sunday morning as opposed to being tired. I will try my best to write my response to Friday’s challenge and to come up with a new challenge for tomorrow.
So was your cabin in the woods a scary creepy place or a sanctuary? Did something bad happen there or something good? I really hope some of you posted some responses.

Friday’s challenge was:

A cabin in the woods…


I have been looking forward to this retreat for weeks, a small cabin in the backwoods of Maine, all to myself, for two glorious weeks; no husband, no children, no dogs or cats, just me, my computer a bunch of food, and the chance to write uninterrupted. A month ago, a friend and fellow writer pressed a key into my hand with a set of direction and told me I needed to get away or I would never finish the novel and my deadline was rapidly approaching. She said she owned a cabin with a wrap-around porch overlooking a lake where the nearest neighbor was over a mile away. It was just what I needed.

Since all the trip was costing was my gas to get to the cabin, my husband agreed to hold down the fort so I could get away. After a ten hour drive and only two miss turns, both within five miles of the cabin, I arrived and was simply blown away. I sat in my car for several minutes just staring at what was to be my home for the next two weeks and nearly cried. The cabin, and I guess you could technically call it that, was a masterpiece of honey colored logs and glass, a perfect blend with the nature surrounding it. There were hanging planters centered along every partition of the veranda, all filled with cascading plants in a variety of textures and colors.

No longer able to sit still, I climbed out of the car and headed up the stairs to the porch. The luggage could wait, I had to explore. The tiny glimpse of shimmering water through the trees drew me to the back of the cabin.

I just may have to finish this one on my own time. Oh how I wish the story was true! I would love to be able to escape for two weeks and just write. Growing up an only child in a single parent household allotted me quite a bit of solitude, where being married with three children and a veritable menagerie of pets has not given me a moment of solitude for almost 25 years. I love my family and my life, and I would not change it for the world, but that doesn’t mean I cannot crave some peace and quiet from time to time.

 
Your Next Challenge is:

 

There’s a knock at the door…


 
You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment