Pintrest

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Day 18 Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –

Happy Cinco de Mayo! To many today is a day to drink Corona’s and chow down on Mexican food, but do you know why Cinco de Mayo is celebrated? Is it a Mexican version of our Independence Day? NOPE, they celebrate their Independence Day in September. On May 5, 1892 there was a battle in Puebla where the Mexican army had an unlikely win over the French.

Perhaps we should copy our Mexican friends and consider making October 19th a holiday here in the States. Why October 19th you ask, well I’ll tell you. Back in 1781, we were still fighting our Revolution. Our troops were half starved, sick, under clothed, under trained, out gunned, outmanned and moral was in the hopper. Basically, after fighting for our independence for over five years, we were in sad shape. Then, in the most perfect case of the heavens aligning if there ever was one, the American and French troops were able to defeat the British at Yorktown, changing the entire tide of the war. Actually, the battle of Yorktown was the end to the Revolutionary War. The series of events which lead to the defeat of Cornwallis at Yorktown are nothing short of amazing. The man was on a roll, burning and destroying his way through the South. He was unstoppable. Then, as if someone snapped their fingers and relinquished his luck, it all went to hell in a hand basket. A series of unexplainable stupid decisions, a witty young advisory and finally Mother Nature all conspired to bring along Cornwallis’ downfall. It is really a fascinating story. You should read about it sometime. Now are you thinking we should probably be celebrating October 19th here in the US?
  
Can you tell where we visited yesterday? Yup, Yorktown. It was cold and drizzling and basically was the same thing we had seen in Jamestown, so I was getting a little cranky. My husband suggested we grab some lunch and then head over to the Yorktown Battlefield, the last of the four places our tickets covered. At that point, the last thing I wanted to see was a lumpy field with a bunch of flags sprinkled about it, but I agreed. After a really good bowl of chowder, my good humor was restored and we headed to the battlefield. When we arrived the ranger said, “The last tour will be leaving in about fifteen minutes. It’s more talk than walk.” In my mind I’m thinking, great we won’t have to hike across the entire battle field; we’ll be in and out in less than an hour; I can deal. We wander around the museum for ten minutes and then go meet the group at the grandfather clock at 2:15. Then out comes Ranger Mac. I swear to you, the man is Bill Engvall’s long lost brother. He had the entire group engaged in under a minute. We laughed our butts off and learned a whole lot of history in what was supposed to be a forty-five minute tour, but turned into an hour and forty-five minute tour. The man made the $61 we paid for the four attraction pass all worth it.
 
Afterwards we even went to explore the redoubts 9 & 10 as Ranger Mac had suggested. For some reason, I decide to climb up on one. From the ground it looks like the cannons are firing into the side of a hill, but upon closer inspection you can tell there are a series of dips in the mounds of dirt where the cannons fire trough. So here I am, standing on one of those dips which are maybe 2’ wide, 8’ drop in front of me, probably closer to 15’ drop behind me and something catches my eye. I bend down and carefully work the dirt away with my fingers. I doubt I would have ever done this if had not visited historic Jamestown the day before and most of Jamestown is an archaeological dig. So anyway, I work all the dirt, sand and gravel away from the object and free it from its resting place, and low and behold, I am holding an old piece of pottery in my hands. It’s just a tiny piece, but you can tell it is pottery. I tell my hubby and he immediately thinks I have lost my mind. I tell him I have to bring it to the rangers, and he tells me do what I want but he’s staying in the car. Fine! I leave him there (I can hear him laughing as I walk away) and bring my new found treasure to the front desk. Yup, it’s pottery. Yup, it’s probably close to 300 years old. Nope, they don’t want it. If they took it, it would go in a drawer somewhere never to see the light of day again. More people would get to see it if I displayed it at my home and told the story. Thank you for being honest. Enjoy your own little piece of history. Have a nice day. So, I now have a tiny piece of ancient American history, which I will display proudly on a bookshelf in my home.
 
 
Wow, that was a long one today.  I better get this ball rolling, because I have to get packed up and start to head home. Vacation is officially over. :(
 

Yesterday’s challenge:

You see a REALLY old couple walking hand in hand through the park. In your mind you make up their story…


Jonathan and Zachary became buddies in Army boot camp. They trained together, were sent overseas together, fought side by side through some of the most horrific battles of World War I. During one of the battles Jonathan was killed attempting to pull a wounded Zachary to safety. While recuperating in the hospital, Zachary vowed, when he returned from the war, he would find Jonathan’s family so he could tell them of their son’s heroics.
 
When the war was over, Zachary was able to make good on his vow and traveled to Jonathan’s home town. He found Jon’s family, but he also found Kate, Jonathan’s sweetheart. Zachary felt he knew Kate well, through what Jonathan had told him and through the letters Kate had sent.
 
 

I didn’t get very far, sorry. Guess I’m a bit tired from vacationing. On to the next one…

Your Day 19 Challenge is:
 

 You are playing in a championship basketball game. You are fouled at the buzzer. Your team needs one to tie and two to win…


You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment