Pintrest

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

December 31st 2013

Hi, it’s Christina –

HAPPY NEW YEAR’S EVE! It’s hard to believe this is the last day of the year. Time just seems to spin by so quickly any more. This obviously will be the last post of the year, and considering this is the 240th blog entry and I started in April (and this was supposed to be a two week exercise), I don’t think I did half bad.

Today is going to be REALLY short and sweet. I have spent the past three hours on a marketing event, and I need to return to it. Then I have to run to the grocery store (I’m making cream of broccoli soup for tonight), the bank (surprise, surprise, I actually sold several books and need to deposit the money so it shows up in the right year), and I have to run to Staples because the printer is out of ink.

I hope you have a fantastic day, a safe evening, a blessed New Year, and happy writing!

Your Last Challenge was:

Another New Year’s Eve without Dick Clark…

“A one-a and a two-a…” The first New Year’s Eves I recall were with Lawrence Welk and his orchestra; the music, the dancing, and of course, my favorite, the bubbles. The show was considered dorky and uncool by everyone else my age, but I secretly loved it.

At some point, I can’t remember exactly when, this new guy named Dick Clark started appearing on my New Year’s Eve celebration; but it was cool, because I enjoyed watching him on American Bandstand. He played music kids my generation liked listening to and he had guest who didn’t look like they needed to be dusted off in order to appear on the show. So the tradition began and it just didn’t feel like New Year’s without Times Square and Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve.

Several years ago, Dick was nice enough to let another new guy in on his coveted show, Ryan Seacrest. It was nice of Dick to give this newbie some air time, but make no mistake, it was all Dick’s show with him in the booth “high above Times Square” and Ryan down amongst the crowd.

Then the unspeakable happened and our now beloved Dick Clark had a massive stroke and was unable to appear. Ryan took over in his place, but it just wasn’t the same. Miracle of miracles, news came out that Dick Clark would be well enough to co-host the celebration the following year. Our hopes were high. The anticipation grew. Then our hearts were momentarily broken when we saw what a devastating effect the stroke had on our much loved New Year’s Eve staple.


 (Ran out of time.)

Your Next Challenge is:

Go spend some quality time with your family and friends, and give someone you love a kiss at midnight.


You have all night. There is no right or wrong, just be honest. Love and friendship count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize or be mean for just this one night. Start your new year off on the right foot. Be safe and God bless. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment