Pintrest

Monday, December 23, 2013

December 23rd Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –

Been up for over three hours and I’m just starting my blog now. I REALLY can’t afford for it to be one of THOSE days. I didn’t sleep well last night. Believe it or not, I think it was because it was too warm. The heat is set at 68, but it is 78 in our house. What I should have done was open the windows, but I was too lazy to put up the storm window and pull down the screen. I looked at the weather report and it’s supposed to be back in the 20s by tonight, so it really wasn’t worth the effort. I do wonder about the accuracy of the weather report though. It says our high today is supposed to be 57, but then it reports the current temp as being 58. You’d think they would want to adjust that… I’m just sayin’…

Anyway, all I have left to wrap are the three presents I can’t find. I’m starting to get really bummed about it, because I was looking forward to seeing the girls reactions to the Monty books. The preserves for my mom would have gleaned us a chuckle, but I think the little ones would have loved their books. Well, I have about 50 hours left to find them, and I haven’t given up hope just yet.

My girls made gingerbread houses yesterday. We had a kit left over from last year which was never touched (since no one was planning on eating it anyway, I didn’t see the harm in using it), and my mom got us one for this year, so the girls spent all afternoon making them. If I can find my phone, I’ll take a picture to show you. I think they did a great job. The two houses are so different. Dani, my youngest, made her house whimsical with lots of colors and even a little Hershey kiss dude; and Lys made hers more elegant, using only red and white, and detailed scroll work.  Two completely different takes, yet both exactly how you would picture a gingerbread house. (Just found my phone, but it’s completely dead. I’ll post the photos later.)

Today we need to run around a bit. We have things to pick up at the grocery store, at Michael‘s, and while we’re there I have to run into BB&B for coffee filters – my Shoprite still hasn’t gotten them in stock, and then I have something to return to Kohl’s. We also need to fit the chiropractor into the mix, get the congo bars and the crumb cake baked, straighten the house, figure out dinner tonight as well as what I’m making for Christmas eve and Christmas brunch, find the remaining three gifts and get them wrapped. DANG, when you write it all out, I still have a TON to do. YIKES! I better get going.

Wish you a marvelous day, and happy writing!
 

Your Last Challenge was:


Just smile and say thank you.
 

Come on, you know you’ll need to do it at least once this season. If you just smile and say thank you, it gets you out of having to lie. Hopefully your “thank you” won’t be followed by “Do you like it?”, then you’re stuck. Do you spare the gift giver’s feelings and say you love it, or do you tell the truth?

I remember the very first time I was put into this situation. I was three or four and a relative got me a doll, a scary looking doll. When she asked me if I liked it, I told her “no thank you, please take it back”, to which I received a spank from my mother and told I was being rude and ungrateful. Yup, over forty years later, I still remember the incident quite clearly. Lesson taught to a toddler – lie to avoid getting spanked.

In an effort not to repeat that fateful day, I have played with some pretty horrific toys and worn some hideous clothes in my time (of course only when the gift giver is around to see). I simply smile and say thank you when I receive a gift.

I did come up with a better approach with my children, I forewarned them so they weren’t caught off guard, and had their smiles at the ready – now you know Aunt Bitsy will probably knit you something, just thank her and put it on. You can take it off as soon as you get home and stuff it in a drawer. We don’t really have an Aunt Bitsy, but you get my meaning.


Your Next Challenge is:

 



 

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment