Pintrest

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

December 17th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina – 

What a surprise…it’s snowing…again. Maybe the old wife’s tale I told you on November 12th won’t be so far off. We’ve had snow, in some form, twelve times already, measurable snow four times, and it’s not even winter yet!! I want to move to Florida, or Texas, or heck, anywhere south of the Mason Dixon Line!

Uht Oh… today is turning into a shiny object day, and that is not a good thing. I had to take a break from the blog because Dani turned on the TV while she was eating breakfast and I can’t write with the TV on, so I put down the computer and made lunches. Then I warmed up the car so she wasn’t waiting for the bus in the snow. When I came back in, I started searching for a photo for today’s challenge and got distracted by a video, which led to another video; and then a discussion over the merits of wishing someone a Merry Christmas as opposed to saying Happy Holidays.

Someone on a friend’s site said it was disrespectful to wish someone a Merry Christmas and he found it offensive because he celebrates “*no* holidays”. Really? I find that very sad. Here was my rebuttal to his comments:
 

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I have friends from all races and religions and have celebrated many of their holidays with them. The words you chose have very little to do with a particular holiday and everything to do with the spirit behind the message. I will say Happy Hanukkah, Joyous Kwanzaa, Merry Christmas, Blessed Ramadan and even wish blessings during the Solstice. I think it shows respect to the various beliefs to use the appropriate greeting during the appropriate time of the year. 

“OBVIOUSLY I do not celebrate all of the holidays, but if someone who does greets me with one of the above or any other I did not mention, it makes me happy. It make me feel like they care enough about me to spread the joy they are feeling to include me in their belief, and it doesn't matter if I believe otherwise. Even though we all believe in something different, we can accept each other and respect each other.

I don’t have to agree with him, but if that is the way he feels, I will respect his right to believe the way he does. It will not deter me from wishing everyone a Merry Christmas though – even after his nasty reply to my comment.

Okay, enough of that. It’s getting late and, I’m sure like all of you, I have a million things to do.

I hope you have a fabulous day, and happy writing!


Your Last Challenge was:


Write a story containing the following three things: A Gingerbread Man, Candy Cane(s), the Police

 

“What have we got here Officer Dingle?” Police Chief Winters asked when he arrived at the scene.

“A standoff Sir.”

“A standoff?”

“Yes Sir. The Gingerbread Man has taken all the candy canes hostage and is refusing to release them until all his demands are met.”

“And what are his demands?”

“That’s the thing Sir, he hasn’t made any yet. He said he wouldn’t make any until the big guy himself was here to hear them.”

“Then this may turn into a sticky situation quickly. I’m not sure if I can get a hold of him, it being the week before Christmas and all.”

“But Sir, you have to. What would Christmas be without candy canes?”

 

Good grief, I didn’t get very far did I. I really didn’t think this prompt was going to be quite that difficult. The idea came quickly, but the words just wouldn’t flow. I’m going to chock it up to being over tired. Oh well, I hope you had an easier time with it.

Your Next Challenge is:



 
You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment