Pintrest

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

December 4th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina – 

Happy Hump Day! I didn’t realize yesterday was Tuesday until around 8:30 last night. I completely lost a day with traveling on Monday. This also means I unintentionally blew off my critique group last night. UGH! I hate when I do that!

The photo project took me ten hours, but I finished and got everything up to Lys, so she could do her assignment. While on the phone, I had Lys ask her roommate if I had left anything for her, and her roommate gave her the box of exam goodies I had smuggled up a few weeks ago. I explained to her that the college was doing these exam care packages, but I didn’t want to spend $65 when she didn’t like half the stuff in the package. So instead, she got to open a box of all her favorite things – double stuffed Oreos, Kit Kat bars, oatmeal, flavored teas, V8 Splash, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I even included two raspberry 5-Hour Energy and a bottle of gummy vitamins. You should have heard her squeal when she opened the box.

That child has so much food in her room, they could get snowed in for a week and she (and probably her roommate too) wouldn’t go hungry. By making sure she’s well stocked, it makes me feel a little better, I guess. I’m one of those moms who isn’t content unless I’m making sure you’re well fed. You can ask any of my kids’ friends, if they come here, I’m going to feed them, and they won’t leave hungry.

I am going to be playing domestic goddess for the remainder of the day. During NaNoWriMo, things got seriously pushed to the back burner and now it is time to pay the price. I want to take twenty minutes to straighten up – the house is clean and I’d really like to keep it that way through the holidays – and then I need to focus on laundry. We are all down to the dredges of our wardrobes and I need to remedy the situation. My hubby informed me he was down to his Sunday sox and underwear – you know, the holey ones.

While I’m in the basement with the laundry, I am going to sort out the Christmas gifts. See what I have, see what still needs to be filled in, make sure I have everything collected from all the hidey-holes, have an “ah-ha” moment when I accidentally find something I purchased years ago but couldn’t find to be able to give the gift. You know, the usual.

I hope you have a wonderful day, and happy writing!


Your Last Challenge was:




 

The snow crunched beneath Michael’s boots. A plum of white mist escaped his mouth with every breath he took. He burrowed his hands deeper into his jacket pockets in an attempt to ward off the cold.


Less than a mile to go, and then I’ll be home, sitting in front of a roaring fire. I know I haven’t had it in a while, but I think a mug of hot cocoa might very well be in my future. Then, after I have thawed, I’ll worry about that stupid car.


A deer had run across his path, and when he hit the brakes to avoid it, his car swerved and he ended up in a ditch. After an hour’s worth of failed attempts to free his car, and a lot of creative cursing, Michael gave up and decided to hike the three remaining miles to his home.


You just had to have the house out in the middle of nowhere, didn’t you? Your dream log cabin in the woods. Miles away from any neighbor. Miles away from any cell service. Doesn’t seem like such a good idea now, does it? Michael trudged on as he berated himself, but then he rounded the bend and his home came into view. There, up on the bluff, overlooking the lake, it stood; proud, elegant, welcoming, and he knew, in spite of the lousy snow covered roads, in spite of the isolation, he could never regret his choice. This was home.


Your Next Challenge is:

 

You are posing for one of those “Old Time Photos”. The camera flash goes off, and when you blink the spots from your eyes, you find you are no longer at the photo studio, you are actually in the place where the photo is set.

 

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment