Pintrest

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

December 3rd


Hi, it’s Christina – 

Good morning everyone.

I made it back from Vermont in one piece and with only running into a small burst of snow and rain when I got south of Albany. Only about ten miles worth, so it wasn’t too terrible.

The one snag I hit was I left fifteen minutes later than I had planned and I missed the ferry by ten minutes, so I had to wait a little over half an hour for the next ferry. Most of the wait I spent chatting with the booth attendant, Keith  or was it Eric - dang I hate when I can't remember names  (there was no one in line behind me for almost twenty minutes). He was a very nice man. He just moved to Vermont from upstate New York in August, but he has decided not to stay and has put his house up on the market already. He said, other than a few select people, for the most part, locals were not very friendly or welcoming. I believe his words were, “You could lay dying in the street and they’d drive right past you.”

Now I have not experienced the same from the folks I encountered, but I am merely a visitor to the state, not a new resident. I think there are quite a few places where, unless you are third generation or more, you are not really made to feel welcome. I don’t know, because I haven’t experienced it myself (I have been living in my same town since I was twelve), but I think I would go out of my way to get involved in things in my new community so they could see who I was and judge me on me and not my lack town roots.

Okay folks, I have a project to go and work on. Well, actually, my daughter has a project due for one of her college classes, but in order for her to do what she wants, I have to gather every picture of her that I can find, scan them onto my computer and email them to her. I anticipate it taking all of my time for the next two days – yeah, that big of a project.

What I’m getting at is, there will be short blog entries and no writing challenges for the next few days. Sorry! We’ll pick up again on Thursday.

I hope you have a great day and happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment