Pintrest

Saturday, December 28, 2013

December 28th

Hi, it’s Christina –

I’ve been up for four hours already, but I just didn’t have the energy to do the blog. Yesterday’s sore throat calmed down considerably, but I’m still feeling blah. I need to snap out of it though because I have a memorial service to attend at one. A friend’s mom passed away several days ago, and they are having the service for her today.

When he sent me the email telling me about what happened to his mom, I asked him if what he sent was a story he was working on (he’s a writer and I review his work from time to time), but he said no, it was all true. I was shocked. Here is an excerpt of what he wrote:

 
I received a call from my mother’s neighbor that she had been gone for at least 7 days. I called friends and neighbors who didn’t know where she was. I spent the day in her house where hundreds of fruit flies swarmed over rotting fruit and searched for clues with the police. They looked for witnesses, ran APBs, tried to ping her car, filed for financial record warrants, discussed DNA and much more. At the end of the day the police informed me that she was taken to a trauma center 9 days earlier after being struck by a car. It was not a local hospital that I thought of calling, and her brain damage prevented her from getting in touch with family and friends.”

 
The whole situation was a total disaster – the hospital where she was taken never bothered notifying next of kin, however they did manage to have the bill for the TV in her room charged directly to her home cable bill (so it’s not like she was a “Jane Doe”). I won’t go into details, but I think the attorneys are going to have a field day with this one – I’m talking smack yourself in the forehead over the stupidity. Why is it that common sense seems to be in such short supply these days?

Since I am still feeling kinda icky, I think I’ll hold off on the writing challenge until tomorrow. So go enjoy your Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment