Pintrest

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

December 18th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –

Oh lordy, it’s turning into another shiny object day, and I really can’t afford two in a row!

Yesterday’s Merry Christmas greeting debate spawned a backlash of nastiness and name calling – on the part of the other guy. I refused to engage even after being called ignorant (he had the audacity to post a definition of ignorant - straight from the dictionary, phonetic spelling and all).

It’s funny though, just like every other bully, when others jumped in to defend me, all of a sudden, he had no more vicious comments to make…or any comments for that matter. I did however, post a photo which ironically popped up on another, totally unrelated to this conversation, friend’s page this morning. The timing was downright cosmic, so I could not help myself. (Sorry FB readers, because yesterday’s post was a photo challenge and I can only post one photo, that one takes precedence. If you want to see what I’m talking about, you’ll have to visit my blog.)



I will fully admit to being idealistic, but ignorant? Hardly. If someone wishes me a Happy Hanukkah, Joyous Kwanzaa or Blessed Ramadan, I take it as a heartfelt greeting, a sense of grace and inclusion, not as condescension or disdain. Am I wrong here folks? What do you think? I am posting this question to all my non-Christian readers – are you offended if I wish you a Merry Christmas or do you take it in the spirit it was intended?

I cannot speak for all Christians, but for me, this time of year is a time for love, compassion and acceptance for ALL my fellow man, not just those who happen to share my religious viewpoints. I do not think anything less of folks who do not believe what I believe, nor would I ever consider “converting” them over to my beliefs.

Your spirituality is for you alone, something no one else has a right to judge. Again, being the idealistic soul that I am, I strongly feel if more people would just treat folks with respect, no matter what their religious beliefs, social status, skin tone, sexual orientation, whatever, this would be a more harmonious place to live.

When it comes down to it, I guess I do have one belief I would love to be able to enforce on the world. Treat people the way you would like to be treated. It’s a simple concept which should have no issue spanning all of humanity, because it is the one thing we can do within ourselves to make the world a better place.

Enough preaching for one day; I’m off to do the million and three things still left on my list. I hope you have a blessed day, and happy writing!


Your Last Challenge was:



“NASA, we are experiencing a light anomaly along the eastern seaboard. Please stand by.”

“Standing by Discovery.”

“Three minutes to visual contact.”

“Received.”

“Well, I’ll be damned.”

“Discovery?”

“Christmas lights.”

“Please repeat Discovery. Did you say Christmas lights?”

“Affirmative NASA. Christmas lights.”

“You noted the anomaly while over Europe, Discovery. Are you sure you have identified the source correctly?”

Commander McGarrett chuckled as he flipped the switch for command central to be able to view the video feed, “See for yourselves. Sure looks like Christmas lights to me.”

Your Next Challenge is:

 
English is a funny language


You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment