Pintrest

Thursday, December 19, 2013

December 19th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –

Good Morning! The blog is going to be short and sweet again today. Getting my Christmas cards out yesterday consumed much more of my time than anticipated. At one point I was about to take my printer and toss it in the dumpster, it was giving me such fits, but I finally got it to print. However, four hours of frustration was not in my budgeted time, so I really have a lot left to do to get ready for tonight’s cookie exchange. Typical me, rushing around like a chicken with her feathers on fire, the day of an event. Some things never change.

Okay, right to the challenges. Wishing you a joyful day and happy writing!

Your Last Challenge was:


English is a funny language

I do not envy folks who need to learn our language. It is difficult even to people who were born speaking it. For every rule, we have an exception, and sometimes words are completely illogical. Here is an example, the simple and innocent looking word “of” There is no “v” in word, yet it is pronounced “ov” or I guess more correctly “uv” – why isn’t it pronounced ahf (to differentiate it from awff)?

Then there’s Arkansas (r – can – saw) and Kansas (can-sas), does this make any sense? If underneath can be a word, why can’t infront be one as well? Why can’t “alot” be a single word as well? Oh, and we cannot forget to, too and two – seriously we need three word, all pronounced exactly the same, which have three different meanings? Why do we pronounce “one” and “won” the same? And what about “tear” – hmm, did I ask about a word which meant you ripped something, or was I asking about a drop of water leaking from your eye? Did someone just get too lazy to give each meaning their own word?

There are also things like bare/bear, dear/deer, brake/break, there/their – awe heck, I could go on all day. Is it a wonder why English is such a pain to learn?


Your Next Challenge is:


In the heart of every human is their desire to leave their mark upon this world; a piece of them to be remembered once they are no longer here. What mark have you left or would you like to leave?



You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment