Pintrest

Monday, July 1, 2013

July 1st Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –

Aaahhhhh! It’s July 1st!! What have I gotten myself into? 50,000 words in 31 days? Maybe if I locked myself away in a cabin in the woods where no one could find me, I might have a chance. This is summer. The kids are home. We have birthday parties to go to, guests coming to stay, and trips to the beach planned. I must have lost my mind when I agreed to this!

OK, I had to get that out of my system, but I’m sure during the course of the month you may hear me panicking again. I am going to be tackling a modern day romance this time, so at least I won’t have the research taking up a lot of my time. I can just write and write in current American English without thinking “would they have said it that way?”, so it should go quicker.

Well, I’m off to camp while the house is still quiet. Have a great day folks!

Your last challenge was:

If you can have lunch with anyone, living or dead, who would it be and why?

 

If you can have lunch with anyone, living or dead, who would it be and why? A favorite writing prompt for teachers everywhere it seems. I know I have received the prompt at least three times over the course of my schooling, and although my answer has changed, I still wouldn’t mind having lunch with any of my previous selections. In middle school I chose George Burns, in high school, Lucille Ball, and in college it was Edgar Allan Poe. Now I’m not sure who it would be. Perhaps, Pope John; although I’m not Catholic, I was always fascinated by the man with the sweet face. Then again it would be kind of cool to sit and chat with Oprah. I love stories of folks who came from nothing and made good, and Oprah overcame some huge obstacles to get where she is today. Brad Paisley, just because he seems fun to hang out with; or Stephen King, just because I’d love to know how he separates himself from the scary in his head; or Gandhi who I doubt needs explanation as to why anyone wouldn’t want to talk with him.


There are so many wonderful people to choose from for so many wonderful reasons, but I think this time I am going to choose for more selfish and personal reasons. I want to have lunch with my Grandfather Daniel, my Grandmother Helen, my Grandmother Alice, my husband’s Uncle Joe, my Aunt Julie, my second dad Ken, and our friend Norm. All of these folks are no longer here with me and I miss them all terribly. I know I was only supposed to pick one, but as I said, I was going to be selfish.

 

Your Next Challenge is:

 

Make a story using the following three words: raccoon, party, mouse.

 

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment