Pintrest

Monday, July 8, 2013

July 8th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –


“It’s just another manic Monday… wish it was Sunday… ‘cause that’s my fun day…” giggle. Sorry for the dated, or should I say outdated, song lyrics. I’m still a little punchy from lack of sleep, even though I went to bed REALLY early last night.


Here are some examples, just from yesterday, of how punchy I get when I haven’t had enough sleep.
 

My friend took a picture of her cat curled up in her kitchen sink and said “I don’t remember washing that pot.”


My reply, “It was from the cat-sserole you made last night.”
 

One of my cabin mates at Camp NaNoWriMo writes on our cabin message board, “I’m stuck. How do you insult a dragon?”


My reply, “With a fire extinguisher? My pet iguana is more ferocious than you? I’ve seen better scales at a fish market? Your breath smells like burnt s’mores? You fly like a hummingbird? Or you could just start singing ‘Puff the Magic Dragon’?”


Obviously when experiencing extreme tiredness, silly switch gets flipped on. It was after the cat-sserole comment, I decided it was time for bed.

 
All in all, the trek from Connecticut to Long Island was a breeze thanks to some guy I chatted with at the hotel pool. He told me to take the Merrick Parkway to the Hutchinson River Parkway so I could avoid the dreaded 95, and it was smooth sailing until an accident five miles from my cousin’s house snarled things. It was only about a twenty minute tie up, so it wasn’t too terrible. The only other slowdown we had from Long Island home was getting over the Verrazano, the toll really screws things up! I wonder, are we the only country that charges their citizens to drive on certain roads?

 
Since I do not know the sleeping pattern of our houseguest, I do not know how much time I will have this morning to write, so I’m off to camp.

 
Your Last Challenge was:
 
 


When I woke, it was still dark. I cannot explain what woke me. I was on vacation after all, so I had no reason to wake up early, but there I was, on the shore at least an hour before sunrise. The gently moving waters of the lagoon called to me, played their siren’s song. It was a seduction I could not resist even if I had wanted to; to swim completely alone with nothing to guide me but the moonlight, no tourists, no screaming children, even the animals all seemed to be sleeping. Heaven, even if it would be only for a fleeting moment.

I waded in, then dove. I frolicked like a dolphin, swam some good hard laps, then simply floated and let the music of the water surround me. As the sky began to lighten, I made my way toward the shore. Since I was awake, I used the opportunity to take my customary “sunrise over the water” vacation photos. I snapped and snapped until the sun was a complete ball hovering just above the water, then I gathered my things and went back to my room to sleep.

A few weeks later, I was flipping through my vacation photos and came across this photo, taken the morning of my moonlight swim. I guess the water actually does have its own music.

 

Your Next Challenge is:

 

Well, why’d it do that?

 

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment