Pintrest

Monday, September 9, 2013

September 9th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina – 

 
It’s Monday, September 9, 2013 and it is the first day of high school for my youngest daughter. It’s is 6 a.m. I have been up for an hour. She’s been up for half an hour, has already showered and is getting dressed. Next will come hair and make-up, and hopefully breakfast. Lunch has been made and packed. With the exception of pictures being taken today, this will be our schedule every weekday for the next 10 months. Ugh!


She is still very nervous about finding her way around the huge school. We highlighted a map yesterday and went over it, plus she typed into her phone a turn by turn guide to help get her through. My only worry is that when the school is packed with kids, everything is going to look completely different to her and she’ll be overwhelmed again. She’s a smart kid, she’ll figure it out if she just stops, takes a breath and doesn’t panic.


I will be leaving today at 10:30 to drive to Philly airport to pick up my son and his girlfriend. It’s going to be a LONG ride home with him razzing me about how his team beat my team last night 36 – 31. I’ll just have to remind him we are still 4 – 1 at his new overpriced ostentatious stadium.
 

Oh well, I need to go get dressed. We wouldn’t want to be seen in a fuzzy robe and slippers when the bus gets here at 6:45.
 

I hope you have a wonderful day, and happy writing!
 


 
I couldn’t quite get done with the blog before the bus came, so we have photos to post already. My baby on her first day of high school… where did the time go?

 




 

 

Your Last Challenge was:

 

Describe the very first time you saw a movie on the big screen.

 

I remember my first trip to the movies vividly. It was a Saturday night in early October. I was five and a half. The movie was starting really late, like seven-thirty, so my mom made me put on my pajamas. They were pink and blue with little ruffles at the wrists and ankles. I also had on my blue fuzzy slippers with the butterflies on them. It was chilly, so my mom made me get my blanket and pillow too.

 
I was so excited, even then, I knew this was a rare treat because there was really no extra money for an extravagance like a movie. We drove the few blocks to the theatre and parked our car. Then my mom had me roll down my window a little and she got out of the car. The next thing I knew she was on my side balancing a little box on my window and telling me to roll the window up until she said stop. I wasn’t sure what it was all about, but I did what she said. She then got back in the car and did the same thing on her side. That’s when she told me they were the speakers so we could hear the movie.

 
Next she told me to stand up, then she put the pillow on the seat and had me sit on it. Now I could see clearly over the dashboard. Then she snuggled my blanket around me. She leaned into the back seat and pulled out some popcorn and drinks she had brought from home.

 
I took a bit of my first handful of popcorn as the movie began. The speakers popped and crackled. My mom did something and the car was filled with a cheery tune as I watched dancing soda cups and popcorn containers flit across the screen. I was thrilled, cartoons twice in one day. Then everything went black. Trumpets sounded. Lights flashed across the screen, then letters and the roar of a lion. My eyes were wide, my heart racing. I could barely stay seated on my pillow.

 

The first movie I ever saw was Disney’s Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I don’t think I blinked the entire movie…well maybe at the end with the witch. That was really scary. Afterwards I remember trying to get birds to land on my finger and chipmunks to eat out of my hand, and I know I went around for weeks singing “Hi Ho” which I’m sure drove my mom batty. To this day, Snow White is still one of my favorites.

 
 

Your Next Challenge is:

 

The first day of school…

 
 

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

2 comments:

  1. Is this how we can do your prompts

    Joanne Sutera

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Joanne. Either type right here or you can cut and paste from Word which is what I do. Looking forward to reading your responses!

    ReplyDelete