Pintrest

Friday, September 6, 2013

September 6th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –

 
It’s 4:00 am and my son and his girlfriend should be here in the next half hour, so I don’t know if I will get my entire blog done by then, but I’m going to give it a try.


For my son’s birthday, his girlfriend got him tickets to the opening day game of the Giant’s vs. the Cowboys at the AT&T stadium…in Arlington, Texas. I am driving them to Philly so they can catch their flight to Dallas. It is a REALLY great gift, one I had hoped to be able to get my husband someday, but haven’t been able to afford yet, so it’s still on my “to do” list.

 
I took my daughter and two of her friends around the high school yesterday so they could try and map out their class schedule, but I fear my daughter is even more confused now then she was before. Technically the school was closed yesterday, which meant certain doors were locked, so we needed to find different routes than when her sister and another friend showed her around. I think we will be headed back there later today to try it again.
 

I also stopped by our local library yesterday to speak to the director about starting a weekly writing/critique group similar to the one I attend in Princeton, but he wasn’t in, so I didn’t get that accomplished either. All in all, not a very productive day. I hate wasting time, but I guess sometimes it is unavoidable.

 
Today when I return from the airport, I will be making an old German dish my husband’s Nana used to make when she was alive. I only make this once a year because 1 – it’s when the plums are in season, and 2 – it is very labor intensive. Basically it is an Italian plumb dumpling. You make a potato dough, roll the plum in sugar and place it in the dough, boil it in chicken broth, then fry it up in bread crumbs. It is served hot with powdered sugar on top, but it is still considered a meal and not a dessert. I know that sounds a little unappealing to many of you, but trust me, they are quite good.

 
OK, right to the challenge or I’ll have no chance at getting it done before they arrive.

 

Your Last Challenge was:

Write a story containing the following three words: Licorice, Crystal & Cake.

 

Mom’s coming over for her birthday dinner and I wanted to make her a special cake this year instead of a store bought one. I decided to bring out an old favorite which had been a big hit in the past. It’s a square cake, so when it’s frosted in white, it looks like a box. I then take licorice and fashion a bow around the box and then add nonpareils and when it’s finished, it looks like a Birthday present all served up on a crystal platter. The presentation is lovely, but since everyone has seen it before, it won’t be such a big surprise…until they cut into that is…

 

 


 

Short and sweet today, but I’m under a time constraint. Oh, by the way, true story. The photos are the actual cake I made my mom a few years ago. Hope you have a great day and happy writing!

  

Your Next Challenge is:
 

What did you say?

  

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment