Pintrest

Sunday, September 22, 2013

September 22nd

Hi, it’s Christina – 


Happy Autumnal Equinox! Today is the day when the sun is directly over the equator and where sunrise and sunset are exactly 12 hours apart… supposedly. Since the sky was already getting light at 6:04 this morning, and I was pretty sure it wouldn’t be dark by 6:04 tonight, I went and looked up what time sunset was going to be tonight. Sure enough, it is coming at 6:55 this evening. Hmmm, how can that be? All my life I was told there were two days a year when this happened, on the spring and fall equinoxes. So I went digging some more.


I don’t know about you, but I always thought sunrise began when the sky started to lighten and sunset was when the last rays of light were gone. I was wrong. If you only mark the time when the actual sun breaks above the horizon line, and when the sun sets below the horizon line, then it will be pretty close to being exactly 12 hours. Because our atmosphere (and I’m sure the mix of pollutants in the air also help) reflects the sun’s light, we can see light well before the sun gets here and well after it leaves. I never knew…



OK, science lesson is over for this morning. Yesterday went well, even though I didn’t sign a single book. I was there with three other authors (which was a surprise, but not a bad thing), Sam, Dave & Lenny. Lenny had an action adventure novel, Dave had a youth sci-fi, and Sam had a Children’s Christmas story, so none of us were in any kind of competition with each other for sales, because we appealed to different audiences.


But if it was a competition, Sam blew the rest of us out of the water. A) He had a Christmas book, and folks were starting their Christmas shopping; and B) the book was absolutely beautiful. So beautiful, I got autographed copies for my cousin’s daughter and my great niece for Christmas. If you have someone I’d say eight or under, they would love this story. I will tell you how to find it on Amazon in a second, but it is so you can read a little about the story and see the amazing pictures – NOT TO BUY IT. I don’t think it’s really on sale at Amazon. I know I did not pay anywhere near the price Amazon has the book listed for!! I will be in contact with Sam in the next few days, and I will find out how you can purchase his book. In the meantime, please check it out. For my Facebook followers, go on to Amazon.com, books, and type “Monty by Samuel Knight” in the search and it comes right up. For those following on my blog, here’s the link.


 



 

Well, the sun has officially risen and I need to start getting ready to head back out to Peddler’s village. Hopefully today I’ll have more luck. For the record, several folks were very excited my books were available on Kindle and they took my card so they could order – whether they do or not, I’ll never really know for sure.


I hope you have a wonderful day and happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment