Pintrest

Saturday, September 14, 2013

September 14th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina – 


I’ve been up for an hour and I’m already frustrated!

 
My husband yells at me all the time because I rarely shut down my laptop completely so it can do the required updates. So last night, actually early this morning, I was a good girl and shut the computer off. When I booted up this morning, it was still going through the updates. I don’t think it was due to the fact there were so many because the last screen I remember last night was saying the updates were at 35% DO NOT SHUT OFF YOUR COMPUTER; the computer went into sleep mode on its own and so did I. When I booted it up this morning, I got the same message. Well if Toshiba requires the computer to be left on, then they shouldn’t have made a machine where the sleep mode actually turns it off!

 
Anyway, it took less than ten minutes for the updates to finish, so it was no big deal. The next hurdle was putting in the password, but I’m willing to chock that up to lack of caffeine in my system making me forget that when you reboot the computer the number lock key turns off.
 

The last spinny thingy things happen and I’m ready to go. I pull up yesterday’s blog page – I always pull up the prior days and use it as a template, and it’s easier to erase words than go hunting for a picture – I’ll admit it, I’m lazy. Next I pull up my email and my Facebook page, because today’s blog was going to be about a blog hop I am going to participate in and I needed to get the details correct so I could share them with you, a book I finished reading last night (note the early morning comment above) which I wanted to share the link to the book, and finally the details about my book signing next weekend at Canterbury Tales in Lahaska, PA and I wanted to give you the link to the driving directions.
 

Instead I get PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED. UGH!! This always happens after I reboot the computer and I’m not sure why. The little pyramid thingy showed five bars, but I click on it, tell it to disconnect from my network, click it again and tell it to reconnect with my network and try again. PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED. Really? So I go and unplug the modem, count to thirty, plug the modem back in and try again. PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED. SERIOUSLY??
 

Now, while I’m writing this, my modem remains unplugged. It is before eight in the morning, but Lord only knows when I will be able to get this blog posted. It may have to wait until my husband gets up and looks at it, but I’m not sure if there is anything he can do different than what I’ve done already. So, if what I’m doing now doesn’t fix the connection, then you’ll probably be reading this sometime this afternoon. (Hubby likes to sleep in on the weekend, I mean REALLY sleep in. I think the last time I was able to sleep until noon was when I had the flu really bad about eighteen years ago!)

 
Your Last Challenge was:

 


 
Beautiful isn’t it? Majestic even. When I see the sun streaming through the clouds like this I can only think of one thing, Heaven. Whether through some adult telling me a tale as a young child, or through my own overactive imagination, to me, the beams of sun were the illuminated paths bringing folks up to Heaven. God’s own version of “Beam me up Scottie”.

 
Over the years, the story evolved in my brain to incorporate the different scenarios for the cloud/light patterns. Beams here and there, normal, people die every day. Only one single beam, someone really kindhearted and loving has passed and they are getting to fly first class as a little reward. A cluster of light like you see above, were the ones that made me sad, because they meant several people died in an area, like a plane crash or a fire.

 
Well what about the people who die at night, you ask? It’s ok, they’re covered too. Moonbeams work just as well. What about a day with cloudless blue skies? Simple, they were taken at dawn or will be taken during sunset, where, even on a clear day, you get rays.

 
I ran out of time, as usual. Wouldn’t it be nice if that was how it really worked? The floating and the light people who have had near death experiences talk about is actually a ray coming down and gently carrying you up to Heaven. For as long as I can remember, this was the way I viewed the cloud/light formations. Where there publicized accountings of near death experiences 45+ years ago?

 
I’ll give you the blog hop and book review information tomorrow since they are related and the book signing information during the week. OK, keep your fingers crossed for me. I’m going to tackle the challenge and then attempt to get on the internet.

 

I hope you have a glorious day, and happy writing!

  

Your Next Challenge is:

 

You are driving when something off the side of the road catches your eye and intrigues you enough you feel compelled to stop.

 

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

2 comments:

  1. When we were first started out in our new home, my husband and I would pay particular attention to the night before “big or bulk trash night.” It is fascinating to see what the neighbors throw away. One evening we were driving home when we spotted a piece of furniture that looked like it might have been an antique cabinet of some sort. We pulled over and looked at it. We opened it and discovered it was a buffet with drawers for silverware and shelves for china. The drawers slid nicely and were scratched but clean inside. The outer dark wood was in definite need of refinishing. Some of the trim was loose, but the pieces were all there.

    We loaded it into our hatchback and drove the piece home. A few days later we took it to be refinished. That piece still sits in my dining room and serves as storage for china and silverware and serving pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent!!

    In 1970 or 71, the same sort of thing happened to my parents, but the object was a sofa, this huge heavy thing originally done up in burgundy velvet. The sofa has been reupholstered and restuffed several times over the past forty years, but it is still in my mother possession and will eventually be in mine and probably my children's.

    One man's trash...

    ReplyDelete