Pintrest

Monday, September 30, 2013

September 30th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina – 

 
I realize this is really late today, but I just couldn’t shake the cobwebs this morning. You wouldn’t have wanted to read anything I wrote, that’s for sure!

 
Waiting for breakfast.
It doesn't get much prettier than this!
We picked the girls up around eleven at the dorm and took them out for breakfast. My youngest daughter and niece’s first experience of dorm life was quite uneventful. When they got back to the room, my oldest daughter popped in a movie and my niece fell asleep before the half-way point and my youngest was out cold before it was over. Then they didn’t wake up until ten, so their college experience consisted of the challenge of sharing a bathroom. LOL.



The water's still kinda warm.
The MONSTER hill.
After breakfast, which because of the wait at the diner wasn’t until 12:45, we walked down to the waterfront, to the shuttle back up the monstrous hill, then strolled along Church Street. Too soon it was time to bring my daughter back to school and for us to start our journey home.

Too funny!
One of the many Church Street performers.
 
I LOVED being able to see her, but it was really difficult having to leave her again.  We won’t get to see her again until November 23rd when she comes home for Thanksgiving. Fifty-four more days! I wish I could sneak up there again, but the $125 in gas is a lot right now.


View of Champlain College from the Champlain Bridge.

The alternate route we tried worked well. Basically the first third of the trip was exactly the same, but instead of staying on Route 9 all the way around Lake George, we turned on to Route 74 and that brought us out to Route 87. Although Route 74 is hilly and has a few turns, especially around Eagle Lake, it is nowhere near as treacherous as Lake Shore Drive. If handled with care, I should traverse it without incident, even in questionable weather.

 
We’ve decided my daughter should fly home on November 23rd, but we are still debating as to when we should book the return flight. Should we do January 4th or March 9th? I want to pick the day which would have the worst road conditions so I can avoid traveling then. Either time in Vermont could be nasty. If any of you have an opinion as to which day I should pick, PLEASE let me know. I would like to book the flights in the next week or so, but that may not happen. In the meantime, I’m going to keep checking the sites to see when a good deal comes up or if a better deal would be for her to fly up after Thanksgiving and back down before spring break. (The current rate for the original dates I wanted is between $450 - $600, so that’s not going to happen!) Either way, if she flies in, she’ll be coming into LaGuardia and not Newark, but it will still be better than driving to VT!

 
OK, I have to go clip coupons and make my grocery list. My daughter should be home from school in about half an hour and when she gets home, I want to do the shopping and then swing by my mom’s to pick up our dog.
 

I hope you enjoy the remainder of your day, and happy writing!

 

 
 
 
 
Your Last Challenge was:

 


 

I know he’s in there. Don’t ask me how. I just know. I’ve been dreaming about this place for weeks; the dreams started several days before the little boy was abducted. Each night the dream got clearer, I could see more and more details. Then last night I actually saw Tommy’s tearstained face, heard his calls for help, and I woke crying myself.
 

I couldn’t tell anyone about my dreams. Who would believe me? Heck, I didn’t even believe me. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before. But then when things I dreamt about started showing up on the six o’clock news, I couldn’t deny what was happening.

 
It all started with just your run of the mill nightmare; shadowy figures and just a general sense of dread. Then the figures became more solid, their plan more concrete. The next dreams started rather pleasant, kids playing in the park. I didn’t even make the connection until I saw the shadowy figure lurking in the trees. I saw it lure a little boy to it and then they were gone. Two days later, local tv was plastered with stories of six year old Tommy Adams being abducted. The only witness was another six year old. She described the person who took Tommy as really tall and dressed all in black.

 

Your Next Challenge is:

 

A song on the radio triggers a strong memory.

 

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

2 comments:

  1. The smell of alfalfa and the two-step, what a combination. Yet that’s what comes to mind when “Smokes Gets in Your Eyes,” by the Platters plays. I think of Joe, my first boyfriend, at a school dance in Agoura Hills, the air fragrant with alfalfa. Country music might have been more appropriate, but I never heard any country songs.

    Joe looked like Adonis, dark wavy hair, smokey eyes and a smile that melted my legs. I had never been to a dance. One of my neighbors who was from the Harry James/Artie Shaw era tried to teach me to waltz and cha-cha and jitterbug,. My mind could do it but not my feet. The two-step was something I could do and Joe and I danced close. I was sixteen and he was eighteen and my father was not happy about any of this.

    I don’t remember how we managed it, but we went to the dance and I danced the two-step with great abandon. Walking outside afterwards, back to his car, we held hands in the moonlight overpowered by the scent of hay. Agoura Hills was ranch country. Livestock roamed the countryside. Behind the fences bales of hay were strewn every few feet.

    I still love that song and the memory it evokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great song, great memory, beautifully written...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete