Pintrest

Friday, September 27, 2013

September 27th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina – 
 

I have several errands to run today, but I am not going to be specific in the off chance my daughter reads my blog today, because one of the stops is a little surprise I need to bring up to college this weekend. I will say, one of the errands may or may not prove to be a fool’s quest. No, I am not in search of a left-handed wind shifter. However, I will be looking for a power strip with a long cord. My FIL insists they do not exist, my husband says they do, and I’m pretty sure I have seen them. If I could find one with an eight foot cord, I’d be happy. They confiscated my daughter’s brand new extension cord last week, stating it was a fire hazard, so now I need to find something compliant and long enough to reach from the wall plug to where everything is set up. I don’t want her to have to reconfigure the room.

 
I still have to pack up my husband’s and my clothes, and get everything situated in the car. We will be leaving at 3:00 am, which means several things. 1) I will be in no mood to be packing and/or arranging things at that hour, so everything needs to be done before I go to bed. 2) I will be going to bed ridiculously early so I can be rested to drive the six hour up to VT. 3) There probably will not be time for a blog tomorrow. On that note, I can pretty much guarantee I will be up before everyone else on Sunday, so I will post a blog entry that morning, but I think we’ll hold off until Monday for the next writing challenge.
 

Speaking of the blog, I put up a survey to see what types of writing challenge y’all prefer. All you have to do is click on a button. You don’t need to post any comments, so it should be painless even for all you shy writers. Please, I would really like some feedback so I know I am gearing this blog towards YOUR needs. Your choices are Photo Challenges (no explanation needed), Specific Scenario Challenges (I set up an entire scene for you), Broad Interpretive Challenges (I only give you a few words and they can take you in any direction you want), and finally 3 Word Challenges (where you have to incorporate all three word given in your reply). These are the four challenges I do the most, but occasionally I will throw in one like I did yesterday where you needed to start your challenge with a specific phrase. I do intend on borrowing Keith’s A-Z challenge and doing the classic “write your own obituary” at some point as well. As I have said several times already, I am open to writing challenges you suggest as well. So please, chime in, let your voice be heard!

 
OK, I’m off to take a shower and get going on my long list of chores. I hope you have a wonderful day, and happy writing!

 
Your Last Challenge was:

Start your story with “Sundays always meant…”

 
Sunday always meant waking up early for Sunday school and church. It meant either stopping at the bakery on Oak Tree Road or to La Bonbonniere on Lincoln Highway for cheese danishes for breakfast. Some Sundays meant lunch at one of the grandparent’s houses or occasionally to my great aunt’s.
 

Lunches there always meant roast beef with mashed potatoes and gravy.  Uncle John would bring the meat downstairs where, for some reason, he had a deli grade meat slicer. He would always sneak me the first slice and say, “Shh, don’t tell.” When we visited Aunt Julie (my grandfather’s sister) and Uncle John, it was always a “whole family” event. That meant my grandparents, my aunt, uncle and cousin, my mother and me would all go.
 

There was not a whole heck of a lot for my cousin and me to do when we were there. Chances were the TV was playing, but Uncle John usually has some sport or other on, and we really weren’t all that interested. So, we would either try entertaining ourselves outside, but since Aunt Julie and Uncle John had no children, there wasn’t a swing set or any toys to play with, so it was just as boring outside as it was inside.


The one thing that did keep us busy for a little while was they had carpeted stairs which lead from their living room up to their attic. My cousin and I would climb to the top of the stairs and then have races sliding down them on our butts.

 
Out of time…
 

Your Next Challenge is:

 



You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment