Pintrest

Sunday, September 15, 2013

September 15th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina – 


If today isn’t the epitome of a fall morning, I don’t know what is!

 
As promised yesterday, I said I would be giving you a review of a book I just finished and information on a blog hop I was participating in for the book. Well, I went on the author’s site and she is WAY more technologically savvy than I am, so I am going to give you the link to her site. The reason I’m doing this is because she has a raffle going on where you can receive some pretty cool prizes and I don’t want you to miss out because I can’t figure out how to do the same thing on my site. Here it is:

 
http://anangellslife.blogspot.com/2013/09/elements-of-broken-mind-blog-hop.html
 

The book I read was Elements of a Broken Mind and I loved it, but again, it is another book which doesn’t fit neatly into one specific genre. Perhaps if I describe the story a little, you will be able to form your own opinion as to where you would categorize it.

 

There are two main characters Grant and Clear. Yes, the woman’s name is Clear, the unfortunate product of hippy parents (the name, not the character). Grant is a detective who moved to a small town from Chicago after his divorce. He’s lonely, misses his daughter terribly, and is determined not to have a drinking problem. When dead bodies of young women start turning up and Grant is frustrated at the lack of tangible leads, in walks Clear stating she “knows” what happened and she wants to help. But how can she know? The information on the case was being held close to the vest.

 

It takes a little while for Grant to believe that Clear is a true psychic and not just a charlatan and Grant reluctantly agrees to let Clear help him catch what now appeared to be a serial killer. Things get really amped up when the Sherriff’s daughter’s best friend is kidnapped. They fight against time and their growing attraction to each other.

 

That’s all I’m going to tell you. You’ll need to wind your own way through all the twists and turns of this psychic rollercoaster yourself. The story draws you in and tosses you around with the characters, and at the end you are left wanting more.

 

 

I hope you have a wonderful day. Happy writing and maybe happy reading!

 
Your Last Challenge was:

 
You are driving when something off the side of the road catches your eye and intrigues you enough you feel compelled to stop.

 

What the heck was that? Jenna wondered as she slowed the car and pulled over to the side of the road and exited her car. As she jogged closer to the object which caught her eye, she paused when she thought she saw it move ever so slightly. Cautiously she approached the gaily wrapped package and removed the note tucked inside the bow.

 

            Dear kindhearted stranger –

             Thank you for stopping. It is with a heavy heart I need to abandon my babies. Please take care of them and love them as I did.

                                                Signed,

                                                Heartbroken Mamma

 

Jenna couldn’t breathe, horrified what the note implied. She shoved the note into her pocket and looked for the safest way to open the box without jostling its inhabitants. How could anyone do this to their children? As quickly as she could, she examined the package and found what appeared to be hinges. On the other side she found a clasp, flipped it up and slowly lifted the lid, afraid at what she might find.

What she found were three sets of sparkling blue eyes staring at her. One occupant meowed Jenna a greeting. Inside the box were three identical grey striped kittens.

 

If I had more time, I would have went into how their was food and water in the box and big cut in the back and how the wrapping was actually made out of cloth not paper so the kitties could breathe…

 
Your Next Challenge is:

 

The fever was so high…

 

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

4 comments:

  1. The fever was so high that Marcia was certain the child would convulse.

    “Donny, can you hear me. I am going to put you in the tub. The water will be cold, but you are going to feel so much better, I promise.” Marcia lifted his slight body and laid him a blanket on the cold floor, while she drew the bath.

    Donny whimpered and tossed, opening his eyes, and then closing them. His vacant stare warned her to hurry.

    Quickly she undressed him and lowered him into the water, his body heat warming her arms that held him for support. The cool water worked. It took nearly 20 minutes, but Donny’s blue eyes opened and looked about with some signs of recognition.

    “You’re okay, baby. The fever broke. I’m going to put you in some fresh pajamas and put you back in bed.” She took him out of the tub, hugged him close and wrapped him in a towel. She brought him back to his room.

    He reached for his floppy little teddy bear and held it tight while she dressed him.

    “Open your mouth, honey and swallow this,” Marcia said as she spooned liquid Tylenol into his mouth. She tucked him in with a light sheet and sat at his bedside.

    “How about I tell you a story?”

    ReplyDelete
  2. You captured a story just about every mom can relate to. Great job and thanks for being one of the few brave enough to post. I always enjoy reading what you have written!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina, thanks for the wonderful post and review! I like your game, it seems pretty cool. I'll play.

    The fever was so high that Jule's skin burned his flesh as she leaned on him heavily. "Leave... me," she murmured through paper-dry lips.

    "Are you kidding me? I'd be dead if it weren't for you. There is no way I am leaving you out here with... those..."

    She slammed into him hard, knocking him off-balance. "If you don't leave me here, then you will be one of those things too." She gasped, curling into herself.

    "You don't know that.... We don't know...."
    "I was bitten. You've seen it. That must be how this spreads. And soon I'll go crazy and bit you."

    Hey... there," he pointed to a construction site, empty and looming in the darkness. "I've got an idea." He dragged her over to the elevator door and fumbled around inside. Sure enough, the lift had a locking mechanism. He dragged her onto the lift. "I am going to drop you on the fifth floor, you should be safe there. Then I'll go to the roof. I'll check on you in the morning."
    "Don't," she groaned.
    As the doors opened on the fifth floor, she flung herself out. "Get out of here!" She hissed through teeth clenched in pain. He hesitated only a moment, then pushed the button.

    As he sat on the roof listening to her groans and curses from the agony, he wondered if it was such a good idea. Eventually she would turn, and then he would have to kill her. Could he do it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! Tell me this was from one of the stories you have been working on. If not, and that only took you 10 minutes, just imagine what you would be like with no time limit... Oh yeah, I know what you can do with no time limit, I've read it!

    You are an amazing writer Heidi and I anxiously await whatever new comes from you! Thank you for playing and if any of the older prompts fancy your tickle, please feel free...

    ReplyDelete