Pintrest

Thursday, September 5, 2013

September 5th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –


I had an interesting experience at the beach yesterday. We went to Sandy Hook, our destination of choice as usual, so nothing exciting with that, but while I was in the water, I got bumped by something. From the feel, I knew it wasn’t a fish or a shark so I wasn’t overly concerned, but I did get out of the water and turned around to look to see if I saw any dolphin. I was quite surprised when I didn’t.


As I exited I told a woman who was entering the water what I had just experienced and she elected not to go into the water and we stood on the shoreline and chatted a while, both watching to see if we could locate what had bumped into me. A few minutes later a couple walked past us with their black lab; I noticed, but didn’t really pay them much attention. The woman, Cheryl, and I chatted a little while longer and then she went back to her blanket. I turned my attention back to the ocean. That’s when I saw what I thought was the black lab swimming with his head just above the water. A wave came and went over the black head. When it didn’t pop right back up, I panicked thinking the dog couldn’t handle the waves, so I rushed into the water to save him. That’s when I got my surprise. When the head popped up again, it didn’t belong to a black lab, but a black seal!


Never, in all my years of going to Sandy Hook, have I seen a seal. I rushed back up to our blanket and told the kids what I had seen so they could see it too. The people around us heard what I had said and they got up and went down to the water. Within minutes the news spread and a huge crowd of people were walking along the shoreline watching the seal’s progress as he headed north. I located Cheryl to tell her they mystery of what had bumped into me in the water was solved and I pointed out the culprit.


Still concerned with what I thought was an unprecedented sight, I located some of the lifeguards who were cleaning up for the season to ask if they could contact a park ranger. When they asked what the problem was I explained what had happened and that I was concerned the animal may be in distress or lost at least. That is when they told me they have actually seen quite a few seals and it wasn’t all that unusual anymore. Surprise number two or is that number three? Anyway, it was an interesting and probably once in a lifetime experience. I am thankful that black head popped up BEFORE I got my arms around it!! Boy would I have really been surprised then!

 

 

Your Last Challenge was:

The Magical Realm is in an uproar…

 
“What’s happening?” “How can this be?” “Why didn’t the veil hold?” “What does this mean?”

 
Mother Nature held up her hands and raised her voice. “Order, ORDER!” Instantly the fearful questions and murmurings stopped, all eyes looked forward. “I realize this morning’s incident has many of you alarmed, but I can assure you there is no need to panic.”

 
A voice rose over the crowd, “How can you say that? That, that child saw us. I know she did. I personally saw the surprise in her eyes.”

 
“I’m sure she did,” Mother Nature cajoled, “as she was meant to.” Before the rumbling through the crowd could get any louder, she continued. “What is it that sustains the protective veil?”

 
“Believing,” the crowd answered in unison.

 
“Yes my children, believing, and in recent years the number of humans who actually believe has decreased dramatically.

 
 

Darn, darn, darn! I really wanted to keep going with this one today. Oh well, tomorrow’s another day. Hope you have a great day and happy writing!
 

Your Next Challenge is:

 

Write a story containing the following three words: Licorice, Crystal & Cake.

 

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment