Pintrest

Thursday, August 8, 2013

August 8th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –


Yesterday I got one of those phone calls every parent dreads. Your child is on the other end of the line crying saying they were in an accident.


Your brain does not process the fact that they were able to call you, speak to you, tell you what happened, so therefore they are not lying in a ditch bleeding and unconscious; you’re only focus is I’ve got to get to my baby. Until you hold them in your arms and see for yourself that they are alright, you are in panic mode.


My daughter borrowed my car so she could have a goodbye lunch with a group of friends who were all leaving for college. With one friend and an exchange student in the car with her, my daughter was driving to the restaurant when the brakes failed on the car. When she attempted to get off the main, heavy trafficked drag onto a secondary road which she thought would be a safer place to try and pull over, she was not able to slow down enough to make the turn safely and she hit a car coming down the secondary road.


The guy she hit was a real jerk and started screaming at her, which upset her even more. (The nice police officer put a kibosh on the man’s ranting real quick when he informed the man a brake failure caused the accident, but the creep never came over to apologize for over reacting.)


The extent of the injuries were: my daughter’s friend had a tiny piece of glass in her leg which she pulled out herself, I cleaned and my daughter put a Band-Aid on; my daughter jammed her thumb, has minor bruises from the seat belt and from where the airbag hit her, and her neck is a little stiff. If you saw what the car looked like, you’d be amazed the injuries were so slight – NOT THAT I’M COMPLAINING.


So today, in addition to the long list of things I needed to get done, I now have to deal with the insurance company. Thankfully, they are all really great, so it shouldn’t be a problem, but it will be an hour or so I could have spent tackling other things. That being said, I need to get this show on the road.


Hope everyone has a wonderful (and safe) day! Happy writing!

 

Your Last Challenge was:

 


 

I see you out there, through my window, taunting me, mocking me. Don’t you think I would rather be with you instead of in here working? I know I can’t. I have too much to do. I must be strong. Perhaps I can finish quickly. No, if I rush it will be obvious, the work will be filled with mistakes I would just have to fix later. Why must you look so inviting? You have become such a distraction; I will never get this work done.


Maybe if I take just half an hour … no, No, NO, I must be strong!


Determined, I get up, pull the curtains closed with a snap and get back to writing.

 

 

See, even items with no reflective properties can become shiny objects… well at least they can for me. Sorry, I know it is short today. Sometimes life itself becomes its own shiny object.

 

Your Next Challenge is:

 

There’s a knock on the door. The unfamiliar person on the other side says they grew up in the house and would like to see it. What happens next? (You can be the knocker or the person opening the door.)

 

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment