Pintrest

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

August 20th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –

Fifty hours. Plastic tubs are being organized. Pillows, sheets, comforter, blankets and clothes have been vacuum sealed, condensed and packed. Three tubs and two vacuum pouches remain to be filled, and then we’re finished. If I don’t fill them and don’t pack them, does that mean we won’t be finished and she can’t leave??

I’ll say it, “This sucks!” Sorry for my French, but it does. I am so happy and excited for my daughter, off to her first choice of colleges about to make a decade of dreams into a reality, yet all I want to do is cry. My brain knows she will be fine, this is where she needs to be, what she needs to do, but my heart is going to miss my baby.

The longest she has ever been away from home was a week, and that was with either family or the church. Thank God her roommate Rhea is one of the sweetest girls I have ever met, so I can take comfort in knowing they will have each other to lean on if times get tough. The two of them met at accepted student’s day and bonded instantly. They are like two peas in a pod. In less than twenty-four hours, they were finishing each other’s sentences. It’s quite comical. At the event, they also met a boy who matched both of them perfectly. (My daughter says Alex is her, just in male form.) They are going to be the three musketeers. The three of them have been chatting non-stop since they met in April and are chomping at the bit to see each other again.

Call me old fashioned, but I think it’s good knowing there will be a guy there to watch out for the girls. The town of Burlington is walking distance from the college, so I know they will be walking to town a lot, and I’m much more comfortable if there’s a guy accompanying them on those outings, especially if they walk home after dark.

Rhea moved in on Sunday already because she is a student ambassador and had to be there early. Last night she was talking to my daughter, and I felt so bad for the girl. She is the ONLY one in the dorm – a big old Victorian. I think she was a little scared, but she didn’t say it, just that she was bored. We will be picking her up on Thursday night and taking her out to dinner with us and maybe we’ll sneak a few of my daughter’s things in early so she can spend a little time with Rhea during the day on Thursday as well.

As usual, I have tons of stuff to do, so I should get going. Hope you have a wonderful day and happy writing!



Your Last Challenge was:


 

Rowan climbed the last few feet up the hill, staggered through the door and to the alter, fell to his knees and sobbed, “How could you let this happen? Have I not devoted my life to serving you? Fighting for you? Yet you could not protect them. Why? They were innocent women and children, elderly who had also served you. What kind of test have you bestowed upon me? Why should I continue to fight if this is how I am repaid?”

Fueled by anger and betrayal, Rowan rose and exited the church to survey the remains of what was once his home. As he made his way into the village, he was met by several of his warrior brothers. All wore the same haunted expression he knew was mirrored on his own face. The destruction was complete. Neither building nor living creature remained; simply charred remnants.

Allister, Rowan’s brother by blood, laid a hand upon his shoulder, “Come brother, there is no longer anything here for us. We will find who did this, then vengeance will be ours.”

 

Your Next Challenge is:

 

Write a story containing: Hot Fudge, Mustard and a Bottle of Wine.

 

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment