Pintrest

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

August 13th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –

The sunrise this morning was beautiful, feathers of glowing red and purple dusted over the sky. However, “Red skies in morning, sailors take warning” holds water. The threatening black clouds have now rolled in, and today may be a total wash-out. On the bright side, I should be able to put a serious dent into my editing project. I’ll lock myself in the bedroom, put my earplugs in and go to town. Not exactly the ideal activity while on vacation, but the work needs to be done.

I’m kinda bummed about the storm, not because it will be a rainy day, but because yesterday the ocean water was actually pleasant, still a little cool, but much better than on Sunday. Now today’s storm might very well make it cold again. Of course with the warmer water temperature, the number of jellyfish increased. Luckily they were the clear ones, so they posed no threat.

Since I cannot change any of this, I will not stress over it, and just enjoy whatever the day will bring. I figure I have about two more hours before the household wakes up, so I should probably start working while I have the quiet.

Hope you have a wonderful day and happy writing!

 
Your Last Challenge was:


Write a story using the following three words: Lobster, Plastic, Noise


It wasn’t on the map, nor in the eating guide listing all the restaurants in the area, but the little shack on the water held such charm, we just had to give it a try. The first thing to greet us as we lumbered up the sandy path through the dunes was the noise of the two seagulls arguing on the patio. Of course, being the strange family we are, my girls put fitting words to the quarrelling gulls’ squawks, so by the time we climbed the stairs, we were all laughing like loons.

We were told to take any seat on the patio we liked as we were the only people in the establishment at the time. An unoccupied restaurant would normally be a warning as to its quality, but something just felt right about being there, so we stayed. It was a clever idea, this shack. In the center was the kitchen area surrounded on three sides with a covered patio with tables and chairs, all with a view of the ocean. The décor was nautical; pillars wrapped in rope, nets with plastic lobsters, crabs and starfish. There was even a ship’s wheel mounted under a hand-carved maidenhead.

We had a wonderful dinner. The girls got burgers, chicken fingers and fries, and my husband and I got to enjoy some fresh seafood. At one point the owner/cook sat down and chatted with us. He told us all sorts of seafaring tales. The man was a gifted storyteller and had us enthralled for hours. We were quite surprised to realize just how much time we had actually spent at the shack, and as the hour was growing late, we thanked the owner for a wonderful time and bade him goodnight.

The next day, I was chatting with an older local couple on the beach and I had asked why they thought the shack was not listed in any of the brochures. They gave me a strange look and ask why I thought a place that burned down almost fifty years ago should still be listed.

 

Wow, this one just flew out of my fingers, and with probably two or three more minutes, I would have been able to finish the whole story. Oh well…

Your Next Challenge is:

 


 

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment