Pintrest

Saturday, February 8, 2014

February 8th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –

I know I have been naughty for the past several days. There is no good reason for me not posting anything other than I just didn’t feel like writing. I’m not sick, I’m not in pain, I just didn’t want to write. I’m not even overly inspired now, but guilt is a strong driving force.

I think I’ve simply have a case of the winter blahs, all this snow and cold seems to be getting to everyone. It’s either that or I’ve done so much writing this past year, I just needed a break. Whichever, it is now time to kick myself in the butt and get back on track. Luckily I have a large target to aim for…

Here a quick recap of the past few days. Wednesday – freezing rain, snow, sleet, yuck, I didn’t move from the house. Thursday – went to retrieve the mail and somehow the town’s plows played mailbox baseball all up our street and it is now littered with either crunched or destroyed mailboxes. Mine was crunched and all my mail got soaked. Unfortunately my mail consisted of all my tax papers, so I had mail drying out on the racks of my oven. Not fun, but I did manage to salvage everything. Friday, Dani had Snow Ball. She got dressed at a friend’s house, but after the dance, I picked up her and her gang (minus Molly & Bri) and they are now all currently passed out all over my living room. I figure I’ll let them sleep for another hour before I make them breakfast.

Today, we are having Dani’s family party. This will be the first party she does not have to share with her sister, so it will be a little strange. (Dani’s birthday is the 4th and Lys is on the 15th, so we’ve always had a combined family party on the weekend between their birthdays.) THANKFULLY the weather is going to hold out; because originally the snow was supposed to start at some point today, but now it’s not supposed to start until Sunday night. Hopefully it won’t be enough to close the schools again.

I’m more relieved next week’s predicted storm seems to have fizzled out as well, because I actually have a job next week. It started with just helping a local flower shop deliver flowers for Valentine’s Day, but then the owner called me and asked if I could help out all week because they were shorthanded. God works in mysterious ways. Money has been really tight these last couple of months, and this little bit of extra income will give us the breathing room we need to get back on an even keel.

It doesn’t take much, just a couple of hundred dollars, and we’re good. That’s why I was looking for a part-time job. Having a little extra money every month so I’m not stressing, and getting a chance to get out of the house to chat with people will ultimately help my writing. Many of my characters are loosely based or are a conglomerate of people I’ve met over my lifetime; and if I’m not meeting any new people, how can I build new characters?

Okay, I thought I had an hour, but the natives are starting to stir and are going to be hungry, so I should probably wrap this up. I hope you have a glorious day, and happy writing!


Your Last Challenge was:

The eyes of the world are upon you…

Don’t rush, clean lines, and for God’s sake, stick the landings. You can do this. You’ve done this routine a million times. You could do it in your sleep. Deep breath. You’ve trained your whole life for this. Medal or not, just being here means you’re one of the best. The best at doing something you still love. Okay, don’t freak out. Deep breath. Pretend the flashes are that ancient light in the corner of the rink at home, the one that they never seem to get fixed, and keeps flickering. The crowd’s not really there, it’s the tape the coach used to get you used to the noise. Just focus on the music.

There’s the cue. Deep breath. Okay, made it to the middle without falling on my butt. Don’t look at the judges, don’t look at the judges. Four, three, two, one – pop and smile. Oh, the ice is like glass. This is great. I’m flying. Okay, first combo. Reach back. One. Uh. Two. Uh. And… three. Yeah, I did it!

Music change, time to slow down. Clean long lines, clean long lines. Graceful arms, graceful arms. Facial expressions, facial expressions. And up – point the toes – Uh. Damn, wish I held that just a little longer.

Music change. Oh I love this, so quick and lively. Tape or no tape, I can hear the crowd. They’re clapping along. I’ve got them behind me. One last jump.

Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. I did it. A clean routine. They’re applauding. I can’t catch my breath. Smile and wave. Smile and wave. I think I’m going to cry. Smile and wave. Smile and wave. Yup. I’m gunna cry. I don’t care. That was my best performance ever, and I did it here.

Your Next Challenge is:

The over use of adjective and adverbs is frowned upon when writing a novel, but not here. Pick one of your five senses – just ONE – and describe something you like (it could be bread, the beach, sunshine, horseback riding, a book – whatever). Oh, did I mention, don’t say what the “thing” is, let us guess.

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.


No comments:

Post a Comment