Pintrest

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

February 11th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –

I’m going to say something I haven’t said for almost two years… I have to get ready to go to work today. Today through Friday, I’m going to be helping a local flower shoppe get ready for Valentine’s Day. I haven’t worked in a flower shop for thirty years! I’m actually really looking forward to it, although I know I’m going to be pooped when I get home. Provided not much has change in thirty year, a flower shop is a ZOO in the days leading up to Valentine’s Day. I’ll be hopping, bopping and running around like a nut for the next four days. I really think this is just the thing I need to get me out of my winter funk!

So, the family birthday party for Dani went well. All the snow made parking at my house a bit of a challenge, but we figured it out. Luckily the only wipe-out was a twelve year old boy, and since bumbles bounce, there was no real harm done. My “big brother” surprised us by plowing our driveway on Friday and then my hubby salted AND sanded what was left, so although still snow covered, it wasn’t too terrible.

It was very strange not having Lys here for the family party. She called Saturday – from the middle of a frozen Lake Champlain – but I couldn’t really talk to her too long because I was prepping for the party. From the time we did get to talk, I could tell she was a little sad about not being home for the party. Her birthday is this Saturday, and I think she’s going to be a little bummed because she’s not home. Hopefully her friends at school will keep her occupied and make her day special.

I haven’t been a complete sloth these past few days. I am participating in another marketing event, one which involves forms of social media other than just Facebook. My Amazon author’s page and my Twitter account have shown significant increases, my blog has received new followers (yeah, perhaps this group of folks will take up some writing challenges), and I even have more followers on Tumblr! Pair that with a recent string of five start reviews and my best sales month ever, and, so far, 2014 has been pretty good. Sending up a little prayer it continues throughout the year.

Okay, I have clothes that just finished drying, so I need to fold them. I have to make my hubby lunch (Dani’s home sick today, so no need to make her a lunch). I want to clean up the kitchen – yeah, that New Year’s resolution was an epic fail – and then I need to get ready for work, so I should go. I hope you have a fabulous day, and happy writing!


Your Last Challenge was:


The over use of adjective and adverbs is frowned upon when writing a novel, but not here. Pick one of your five senses – just ONE – and describe something you like (it could be bread, the beach, sunshine, horseback riding, a book – whatever). Oh, did I mention, don’t say what the “thing” is, let us guess.

Feeling a little nervous, I hope I can relax enough to enjoy this gift. The silk sheet slides over my skin as I attempt to get comfortable. The dribble of the warm liquid on my back releases an involuntary shiver. Deft hands begin to spread the oil over my tense muscles, progressively increasing their pressure as they go; kneading, working in small circles, then in long fluid lines, to release months, if not years, of stress. Slowly I feel the knots loosening and I begin to relax. A soft moan escapes my lips as my back becomes as pliant as melting butter. I begin to drift, floating on a pain free cloud.


Yikes – that was really hard. I don’t know how many sentences I had to start over because I couldn’t use sight, or sound, or smell. Thankfully, when writing, we can use all five senses to describe a setting. I’d be in big trouble if I couldn’t!

Your Next Challenge is:

Shhhh…it’s a secret….


You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment