Pintrest

Thursday, May 1, 2014

May 1st Challenge

Hi it’s Christina –

Good Morning! Happy May Day! If you don’t happen to know what May Day is, I pulled a definition from the dreaded Wikipedia for you. The earliest May Day celebrations appeared in pre-Christian times, with the festival of Flora, the Roman goddess of flowers, and the Walpurgis Night celebrations of the Germanic countries. It is also associated with the Gaelic Beltane. Many pagan celebrations were abandoned or Christianized during the process of conversion in Europe. A more secular version of May Day continues to be observed in Europe and America. In this form, May Day may be best known for its tradition of dancing the maypole dance and crowning of the Queen of the May.

Here, in Central New Jersey, May Day is soggy. It started raining two days ago, and it really hasn’t let up much yet. Schools here have a two hour delay because the flooding is so bad. Hey, I’m just thankful they didn’t have to close school. If they had, the kids would have had to go to school on Memorial Day, because that is the only day they have off between now and the end of the school year. Let’s keep our fingers crossed that the water recedes enough so the buses can get through, and we don’t receive an updated call saying school is closed.

Camp NaNoWriMo is officially over, and five of my twelve cabin mates reached their goal, and only three didn’t post any numbers. I was so excited. In July, if I remember correctly, I was the only one who made it to goal from my cabin, and more than half of my cabin had zeroes for their final word count. I’m glad this experience was so much better, or I may not have participated again. So guys, you have a two month break before I start complaining about camp again.

I still have a ton of writing to do before Faerie Tale Queen will be ready. Yes, I hit over fifty thousand words during camp, but those fifty thousand were split fairly evenly between my novel and my blog. In all honesty, between the actual word count, and where the story is right now, I’d say, I’m a little over half finished, but who knows. Just like all my other stories, I really have no idea where this one is going, what conflicts or twists will arise, what solutions will be found or what may remain unresolved. The only thing I EVER know when I begin to write a story, is it will have a happy ending.

I hope you have a dry, warm and sunny day (because I won’t), and happy writing!

Your Last Challenge was:

Use these three words: Specular, Strengthen, Scandalize

Although town folk speculated as to the goings on in the house, with the specular windows, at the top of the hill, they were scandalized when the truth was revealed. For decades the house
stood sentinel, looming over the town; an out of place gargoyle in an otherwise quaint New England setting. The owners, never seen, and listed as a corporation in the town records, added to the enigma and the gossip. If it weren’t for the observations of some neighborhood children, the debauchery may have never come to light.

A small group of kids were playing Frisbee at the edge of the park which butted up to the suspicious property. When a wayward throw caused the Frisbee to land in the boundary bushes, one of the teens went to retrieve it. What he saw, had him signal his other friends. They watched in horror for a few moments, then quietly snuck away. Without hesitation, the group headed straight to the local police department.

At first the police did not believe the children, but then when, even when separated, they told nearly the same tale, they changed their minds. Since they were a small town police force, and if what the children were saying was true, they would need reinforcements. Acting on faith, they called in the state police. Later that same day, strengthened by the additional back up, they descended upon the property.

Your Next Challenge is:

A single candle burned in the window…

Okay folks, we are going to try something new, and stretch your comfort zone. This is going to be your prompt for the next three days, however, on Thursday, you need to write a Romance; on Friday, you need to write a mystery; and on Saturday, you need to write in a different genre / style of your choosing.


You have ten minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment