Pintrest

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

April 30th Challenge

Hi it’s Christina –

Good Morning! Can you believe it’s April 30th already? The year is a third over.

My blog is a little late this morning because I wanted to catch up on an episode of one of the four shows my daughter and I started watching together at the beginning of the season. She watched it last night, but I was too tired, so I went to bed.

The show is called Star-Crossed, and it airs on the CW on Monday nights. We have yet to actually watch it on a Monday night, and quite frankly, I’m not even sure which channel number is the CW. Anyway, it is the story of an alien race whose ship crashed a few miles out of Baton Rouge, Louisiana in 2014.


In the ten years since the crash, the Atrians, the tattooed race of people from the ship, have been held in a government detention center – think the Japanese containment camps during WWII, Called The Sector. Emery, who is played by Aimee Teegarden, was a six year old girl who saved Roman, played by Matt Lanter, an Atrian child, on the day of the crash. It is now, ten years later, that seven of the Atrian teens are part of an integration program, and are allowed out of The Sector and into a local public high school.










The Red Hawks are a radical human group opposed to the Atrian integration, and are making things difficult – picture the picketing, violence, and riots of the racial integration in this country in the 1950s. The Trags, a handful of Atrain radicals, are against the integration as well. They want to overpower the humans, to gain their freedom. The Atrian leader is killed, a less than honorable man takes his place, there’s racial tension, interracial relationships, a fight for freedom and equality, gang wars, and a whole lot more.

I absolutely love the show, and I was very disappointed to hear the CW will not be picking Star-Crossed up for a second season. I don’t get it. This has happened to me a number of times. I find a show, which I deem worthy of my time. I get into it. I watch it religiously, and it gets cancelled. This show has mass market appeal. It’s a sci-fi, but not over the top wonky. It’s a drama, but not overly heavy. It’s a romance, but not sickeningly sweet. There is action, a good story line, and the acting is believable. I haven’t made one eye roll yet. Okay, enough on a show you’ll probably never get to see, which, in my opinion, is very sad.

If you missed yesterday’s post, and considering only 33 people saw it, I’d say you did, I hit my Camp NaNoWriMo goal. I can still update my numbers again today, but I made it official yesterday. It was strange. When I entered the actual writing for verification, the NaNo counter said I had almost a hundred more words than the my Word.doc counter. Not quite sure how that can happen, and honestly I don’t care since it showed I had written MORE than I had thought, not LESS.

Oops, just noticed the time. I have to get my hubby out the door. I hope you have a fabulous day, and happy writing!






Your Last Challenge was:

I wonder what’s in the box…

I’m not sure exactly how it happened, but we all seem to do it. Perhaps the kids witnessed their father and I doing it, but every Christmas or birthday, we don’t tear through the wrapping paper to see what’s inside. First we hold the box or package and wonder what’s inside. We turn it over in our hands, give it a little shake or squeeze it – unless someone yells “DON’T!” Then we make a guess as to what could be inside.

Sometimes our guesses are logical, and sometimes, usually when we don’t have a clue, our guesses are outlandish. We laugh, and then, with great anticipation, open the gift to see how close we got. There have been times when we have been spot on, and others when we were totally surprised. We all know it is a silly thing to do, but it is a way for us to draw out the moment, because, admit it, we all love getting presents, and sometimes the anticipation of the gift is just as good as the gift itself.

Yeah, I know it’s short today, and I didn’t use the whole ten minutes (not even close), but sometimes, if you can get a point across in a minimal amount of words, it’s a good thing.

Your Next Challenge is:

Use these three words: Specular, Strengthen, Scandalize


You have ten minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go. (If you need to look up a word to know its meaning, it doesn’t count toward your ten minutes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment