Pintrest

Friday, April 4, 2014

Faerie Tale Queen - Chapters 17 & 18



Okay folks, hopefully you caught up on chapters 1 - 16, because here's 17 & 18 of Faerie Tale Queen (they were short, so you got two). REMEMBER - these are UNEDITED.

The only annoying thing is Google+ isn't letting me upload the photo of the cover for some reason, so it would be hard to find the chapter installments if I posted directly there. This means, a couple of times a week, there will be two blog posts.

17

For the next couple of hours they read Kieren’s book and discussed the intricacies of Grá. Kieren told him of the unique qualities of each of the shires and how they worked together to make Grá whole. Because of Logan’s translation of the shire’s names, Kieren was clearly able to see how each of the names reflected each shire’s attributes.

She brought Logan through the prince’s journey to the mortal world, his quest for a bride, finding her and starting a family. She explained how her current book was to be about the princess returning to Grá, and how she and Queen Bevin would work together to defeat the Bagairt, but she was having a great deal of difficulty writing the story.

After a light supper of leftover frittata and soup, then returning to the living room, Logan asked, “I’ve been meaning to ask, you no longer have your hand bandaged. Am I to assume it is better?”

Kieren held up her hand and proudly displayed her Band-Aid wrapped thumb, “Except for one tiny blister. The cream you used did the trick. What was it?”

 “Ancient Chinese secret,” he quipped, then laughed when she made a face at him. “Just your run of the mill pharmacy burn cream. Nothing special.”

“Well, it worked.”

“I’m glad.” Logan spread his hands to encompass the mess around them, “So where does this all leave us?”

“Damned if I know.” Kieren admitted with a shrug. “Maybe my slumberous visitor will enlighten me tonight.”

“Huh? Oh, you mean your dreams.”

“That’s just it Logan, what if they’re not dreams.”

“So what Kieren, are you trying to tell me you are actually traveling to Grá every time you fall asleep? You can’t seriously believe that.”

“Honestly, I don’t know what to believe at this point.”

Logan leaned over and kissed her forehead, “Your dreams are your way of sorting out a problem in that creative little head of yours, nothing more. Don’t fret over it. Go to sleep, dream of Grá, but this time have a list of pointed questions to present to the queen.”

“And how will that help if I’m not really there?”

“Because love, maybe if you ask the questions, your subconscious will provide you with the answers.” He stood raising her with him. “It’s getting late and I should be leaving.” When Kieren had walked him to the door, he added, “Go. Dream. Tomorrow we can talk about whatever you come up with from your dream.”

Kieren nodded her agreement, watched Logan stride beyond the reach of her back light, shut off the light, then closed and locked her door. A list of questions. Where do I start? Before Kieren retired to her bedroom, she retrieved a pad of paper and a pen from the office. After she donned her nightgown and brushed her teeth, she climbed into bed with the pad and pen, and began to jot down notes.

18


Kieren closed her eyes and raised her face to the sun. The light mist from Urraim’s largest waterfall softly fell upon her skin. This truly is a wondrous world my imagination has created.

The tinkle of children’s laughter made Kieren open her eyes and turn toward the sound. She smiled as the small rambunctious group drew near to where she stood, partially obstructed from view by a bush at the water’s edge. They were siblings, of that, she was certain. The eldest, a girl of perhaps fourteen or fifteen, was halfheartedly trying to catch her two racing brothers, while a young girl attempted not to be left out of the fun. The young girl squealed with delight as one of her brothers picked her up, spun her around and then placed her back on the ground as he raced away, seconds before his older sister caught him.

Kieren’s laughter at their antics brought the children up short. She watched in wonder as the smiles slowly faded from their faces as they stared, mouths agape, at Kieren. “I’m sorry,” she said as she stepped completely into the clearing. “I didn’t mean to frighten you.” The children’s eyes grew wide. “I simply couldn’t contain my joy at seeing you playing together. I never had any brother or sisters, but watching you was how I always pictured it would be if I had.”

When the little girl began to hide herself behind her sister’s skirt, Kieren added, “It’s okay. I won’t hurt you.” Then she stooped down so she would be at eye level with the child. “My name’s Kieren. What’s yours?”

Kieren looked up when she heard the older children gasp, “What?” She asked in confusion, but then her attention was diverted back to the little girl who was now cautiously walking toward her.

When the child stood directly in front of Kieren, she reached out her chubby hand, stroked one of Kieren’s locks of hair, then placed her hand on Kieren’s cheek and whispered in awe, “I never thought I would meet a real princess.”

Kieren turned her face and kissed the little girl’s palm, “Oh sweetling, I’m not a princess, just a visitor admiring this beautiful place you call home.”

“But you said your name was Kieren,” the younger boy stated.

“I did and I am, but that doesn’t make me a princess.”

The older sister stepped forward, “Then why do you share the name of the queen’s granddaughter?” and the older boy added, “You even look a lot like her.”

Kieren smiled. “Do you really think so?” She asked the boy and he nodded. “Well, thank you for that lovely compliment.” Kieren then looked up at the older girl, “As for having the same name as the queen’s granddaughter, I have no idea, but I will be sure to ask her about it the next time I see her. Now, you all know my name, but I still do not know any of yours.” She said with a tap on the end of the little girl’s nose which made her giggle.

“I’m Annie. That’s my sister Mary and my brothers Jamie and Toby.”

Kieren rose, took Annie with her and plopped the little girl on her hip, “It is a pleasure to meet all of you. Now, you were all having a marvelous time before I so rudely interrupted you, so I will let you get back to your fun.”

Annie hugged Kieren’s neck and Toby said, “You could play with us if you’d like.”

Kieren glanced to Mary for her approval before she replied. Upon receiving it she said, “I would enjoy nothing more.” To which she received a squeeze from Annie, whoops of delight from Toby and Jamie, and an appreciative smile from Mary.

My questions for the queen will have to wait for another time. Something much more important has come up.

No comments:

Post a Comment