Pintrest

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

May 21st Challenge

Hi it’s Christina –

Good Morning! Yesterday was a glorious day; 82°, no humidity, tons of sunshine and a gentle breeze. You couldn’t make a better day if you were to conjure it yourself. I only wish I wasn’t feeling yucky for most of it so I would have been able to enjoy it more. I’m feeling better today, but it’s grey and muggy out. Figures.

My daughter has been baking up a storm – and trashing my kitchen in the process. Her boyfriend’s birthday is coming up on Sunday, but he’ll be in Vegas, so she’s going out to Long Island tomorrow to spend some time with him. He mentioned he loves the Entenmann’s marble pound cake, so she made him one of those. She also made a dozen whoopie pies, a dozen Oreo cupcakes, and a batch of brownies.

She has them all in a huge box, wrapped in birthday paper, which has me a little nervous. You see, we are putting her on a train in the morning to NY Penn Station, and from there she needs to catch the LIRR. I’m not real comfortable with her walking around Penn Station, carrying a huge birthday present. I think it’s just asking for trouble. 
Someone’s going to see the huge box and think it is some expensive give worth taking. I think she should put the box in a black garbage bag, but she says it would raise red flags to the cops. Hmm – raise a flag with the cops vs. peak interest with a crook… you know which way I’d lean.

She has fifteen minutes to navigate Penn Station – which she’s never been to before - carrying this box and an overnight bag, purchase her LIRR ticket, and catch the train to Long Island. I anticipate a teary panicked phone call, but then again, she’ll probably be fine and I’m just projecting my own phobias.

Ugh! As if I wasn’t grey enough already! I’d ask her to text me updates at each step of her journey, but I think that would add more stress to her – juggling the box, the bag, and the ticket, is more than enough. Mom’s just going to have to take a chill-pill and let it go. I will have her text me when
she gets on the LIRR so I know she made it.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get her to the train station in the morning. As luck would have it, I have to be at work early tomorrow morning, and I’ll be headed in the exact opposite direction of the train station. I made a few calls, then left a message for Grandpa. Hopefully he’ll be able to help his granddaughter out.

Okay, I have an hour before I have to leave for work, and I need to get more editing done. I’m seriously starting to question if I am going to be able to finish in nine days. I hope you have a great day, and happy writing!

Your Last Challenge was:

You are going to your twenty fifth high school reunion, and the person who was voted “most likely to succeed” shows up.

“Samuel Tucker, as I live and breathe.”
“Hi K.C.”
“I’m surprised to see you here Sam. You haven’t been to any other reunion.”
“Yeah…well, you know how it is.”
“Actually I don’t. Never did manage to get out of our little town.”
“Um… it was nice seeing you. You look good. I’m…uh…gunna go see who else is here. We’ll … uh…catch up later.”
As Sam wove his way into the crowd, Darcy snuck up behind K.C. and hissed in her ear, “Tell me that wasn’t Sam Tucker you were just talking to.”
K.C. turned, “Yup, it was.”
“I can’t believe he had the nerve to show his face.”
“What are you talking about Darcy? That’s Sam. All Star athlete in both baseball and football, full ride to college, voted “most likely to succeed”. Why wouldn’t he want to come to his 25th high school reunion?” K.C. watched Sam’s progress through the room, openly admiring what she saw.
“Seriously K.C.? Have you been living under a rock?”
“Just right here in Green Meadow, then again, that pretty much means the same thing.”
Darcy gasped and grabbed K.C.’s arm to get her full attention. “Lord girl, you really don’t know, do you?”
“Darcy! What?”

Ooo, this one could have probably gone somewhere if I had more time. I may have to file it away for a later date. What do you think?

Your Next Challenge is:

Use the following (chosen from a random page, from a random book on my shelf) as either your first or last line in a story:

“So that’s it, then? Nothing I say is going to change her mind?”



You have ten minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count, and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment