Pintrest

Friday, May 16, 2014

May 16th Challenge

Hi it’s Christina –

I’m beginning to get a complex. First Taking Chances doesn’t fit the “romance” bill, and then I start losing followers on Facebook. To the best of my knowledge, I haven’t lost any since I started the page, and now, in this past week, I’ve lost four. Did I say something to upset someone? Seriously, unless someone posts something truly horrifying or offensive, I doubt I would put forth the effort to unfollow them. Yeah, I’m lazy, shoot me.

Sorry, all this lack of sleep is getting to me. Last night was better, but I have several days of catching up to do, so I’m not surprised I’m still a little foggy, or maybe cranky is a better word. Today, other than going to help my mom for an hour or so this morning, I’ll be working on editing. I only have two weeks until the end of the month, and I still have a lot to do.

I haven’t heard from Lys at all since she left. I know I don’t hear from her every day while she’s at school, but I guess, because she’s home, in my mind, she should check in every day like she used to. I still don’t know if Tyler is driving her home or putting her on a train. If they are both coming home, what time should I expect them? Is he turning around and going right back home, or is he staying the night? Should I plan dinner, or is our typical Friday pizza fine?

I don’t think these are intrusive things I want; just common courtesy items I think warrant a call. Right? I realize this is just another growing phase in the parent – child relationship, and I need to tread lightly and allow her to spread her wings. However, even though she is nineteen, I think some ground rules still need to be established. For the most part, until her brother moved out at twenty-three, he was asked to check in, a simple phone call or text, telling me what to expect. Whatever he decided to do was fine, but I just wanted to know, so I wouldn’t worry.


On the rare occasions he forgot, he was read the riot act, and I thought Lys would have remembered that, but I guess she didn’t. So, when she gets home, I will explain what I would like her to do in the future, and why. I’m 99% sure she’ll understand, and do her best to comply. This is pretty much the same rule she has had her entire life. The occasions were very rare, where she was told she couldn’t do something. Unless we had a conflicting event, all of my kids were allowed to go with their friends, to go have fun. That’s what being a kid should be, they are only young a short period in their lives, and they should enjoy it.

Please don’t think I let them run wild, because I didn’t. Their “play dates” may have been delayed until they finished a particular chore; or if I wasn’t comfortable with what they planned on doing, I would steer them toward a different activity.

Okay, enough rambling on about my parenting strategies, which you probably could care less about. I hope you have an extraordinary day, and happy writing!

Your Last Challenge was:

Use the following in a story: You don’t find many old werewolf hunters.

Never thought it would happen, but it did. My thirtieth birthday. As of three a.m., I am officially the oldest person in my family. My grandparents barely made it out of their teens. My parents didn’t fare much better, but then again, you don’t find many old werewolf hunters.

Be it skill or sheer dumb luck, I have officially entered my third decade on this earth, but if I don’t get my head out of my butt and focus, I may not make it through the night. My brother Michael and I have been tracking this unusually ruthless pack for several months now.
Last June, a Tacoma newspaper had reported the deaths of three hikers. The official cause of death was deemed animal attack. Nothing unusual there, it is unfortunate, but it does happen in that neck of the woods. However, three days later, a similar report came in from Longview, and then another, again three days later, in Eugene.

This brought up a red flag, and Michael and I were on the next plane headed west. We landed in Portland on a Tuesday, but by then multiple reports hit the airwaves over several attacks in Crater Lake National Park. The carnage was horrific, and the news spread worldwide.

Those of us “in the know” recognized what the reporters did not, and soon every werewolf hunter within flying distance was on the west coast, and there lies my problem. I’m not only dealing with the pack, I’m dealing with all the wannabe hunters who haven’t a clue what they are doing, and are going to get us all killed.

Your Next Challenge is:

Late again…


You have ten minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count, and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment