Pintrest

Friday, May 30, 2014

May 30th Challenge

Hi it’s Christina –

A bungalow surrounded
 by McMansions
Good Morning! The initial plan for today was Lys and I were going to drive down to Avalon to pick up a load of stuff from Nan’s house, then turn around and come back home, but plans changed so we won’t be going down.

Nan & Pop's
I have mixed feelings over this change of plans. The Avalon house has meant a lot to my family and me over the years, even though it wasn’t ours. I would have liked to have seen it one last time before it sold; but then again, I’m not so sure the emotional experience of knowing it was the last time I’d be seeing it would be a good thing.

Ice cream on the back porch
Me, Dani, Lys, Beth, Chris
A lifetime of wonderful memories were made in that tiny bungalow on 7th Street. Us sleeping on every available surface, and managing to survive with just one bathroom amongst eleven people. 

Coffee on the back porch before anyone else (except Pop) was up. Watching the otters raid the bait bucket, then dad cursing a blue streak. The kids running out to stand on the picnic table and wave to Miss Avalon. The gulls getting blown up by lightning. 

Adult beverages being consumed in large quantities. Chowing down on clams and crab, which we caught or dug ourselves. Subs from Moran's. Trips to Hoy’s for things we really didn’t need but had to have.
Moran's
Dad thinking he was funny by spraying the ice-cold hose into the outdoor shower, while we were in there. Watching the guys fight the crazy current, and either banging up the boats or the jet skis, or them getting soaked in a torrential downpour. Kayaking around the creek and laughing so hard we couldn't coordinate the paddles to get back. 

Floaty thingy
Tim, Kyle, Chris
The kids hanging out on that floating thing, then ending up in the water when they tried getting back on the deck. Fishing off the dock. PJ sending Christopher into the drink. Making stepping stones. Bruto coming to visit and begging for cookies. Endless, hysterical games of I'll Buy That. I could go on and on.
The back dock

It's sad seeing that chapter of our lives end, but I wouldn't have traded it for the world. We were incredibly blessed that Sharon and her folks allowed us to share their little slice of heaven.
Train Pop made which ran
under the house


I hope you have a wonderful day, and happy writing!



Your Last Challenge was:

“It’s the only time in my life when I ever forgot what time it was or what day it was.”

(A quote from Martin Scorsese, in a biography by Peter Brunette. He was talking about a weekend getaway at a friend’s house which turned into a three week visit.)

It was the only time in my life when I ever forgot what time it was, or what day it was. Images flittered through my brain, fragmented, out of sequence. It would have been easier to catch smoke in my hands than to organize my mind.

The last thing I recalled with any certainty was riding my bike. The day was clear and sunny. The breeze through my hair was refreshing. I remembered the distinct smell of Lilacs, so I knew it was mid spring. I was happy and enjoying the ride. Though I was still unclear if the bike ride occurred moments, days, weeks, months or years before my brain became scrambled, it was my last clear memory and I held firmly to it, used it as a building block to reconstruct a timeline in my mind.

I have no idea where I was going with this – I still can’t seem to focus. Sorry.

Your Next Challenge is:

It’s a mystery…

You have ten minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count, and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment