Pintrest

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

November 6th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina – 
 
Happy hump day. October had five Tuesdays, so I was all mixed up last night. First I felt bad about missing last week’s meeting, but we only have meetings on the first four Tuesdays of the month. Then, because I thought I missed last week, I thought last night was our writing group, but it wasn’t, it was the critique group. I had nothing prepared, which was fine. I don’t have to read every week. I just sat back and listened to the other’s stories.

I did feel bad about leaving early though. I wasn’t feeling great when I left home, so I took two Motrin on my way to the group. After an hour and a half, I was feeling pretty lousy. The Motrin hadn’t worked, and I just wanted to go home and go to bed, so I left. I wish I could have held on just a little longer. Right as I was leaving Tony, a man who is writing a memoir about growing up in Algiers during their civil war, was about to read his piece. I love listening to him read, and other than the last chapter he read which went into too much detail about a goat being slaughtered for a feast, I am thoroughly enjoying his story. He has a wonderfully melodic voice which draws you into his story.
 
I’m still not feeling all that great this morning, kind of achy and just a little off. I’m sure it is the combination of the time change and the weather turning colder. My body needs a little more time to adjust.

I didn’t get a whole lot of writing done yesterday because I was playing around with the book trailer. I finished the trailer and I tried posting it online for you guys to see, but technology hates me, and I couldn’t get it to post. Yes, I did save it as a .wav file, but still no luck. It’s a shame because I was rather pleased with the way it came out and I wanted to share it with you. (I am going to give it one more try here on the blog, but I’m not holding my breath. FB, Tumblr, Twitter readers, you’ll have to check out the blog if you want to see it.)


(IT DIDN'T WORK SO I DELETED IT.)
 

I found this song called “Talk to Me” by George Nozuka. He had it posted online saying it wasn’t “copywrited or nothing” and was just out there for entertainment. It’s a really neat song, even though it isn’t the type of music I normally listen to, and it fit with the sentiment of A Second Chance. Since I haven’t been able to figure out how to show you the trailer, at least you can have a listen to the song. It’s out on YouTube if you’re interested. The kid’s got some serious talent. (I did remove the five seconds of rap at the beginning of the song so it wouldn’t be in the trailer, but other than that, I used the entire song and gave him credit for the song on the second to the last slide of the trailer.)

Since I didn’t get “a whole lot of writing done” yesterday, I really need to buckle down today. I’ll be posting chapter two of Faerie Tale Queen on Facebook later today and I look forward to reading your comments and thoughts.

As you know, I can now be found on several venues of social media – Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Goodreads, Blogspot, my website (I may have forgotten a few) – and over the past few months, the number of followers has grown significantly. Those followers also include several “public figures” who I respect and admire. Although this is wonderful, exciting, and quite frankly humbling, it is a bit frightening as well, especially when I am posting first draft, unedited versions of my story. These folks are extremely influential in my genre as well as to writing world itself, and I pray I don’t disappoint them.

Okay, as I said, I must buckle down today and get some serious words on paper…well computer screen, so I should get going. I hope you have a great day and happy writing!
 

Your Last Challenge:

 

Look, up in the sky, it’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s a, a ???

 

Several years ago, I was sitting in my living room, probably on my computer. I can’t remember exactly, but I started to hear this strange sound. The noise kept getting louder and louder, which meant whatever was causing it was getting closer and closer. We live on the corner of a major roadway, so we do have large trucks pass the house, but the sound wasn’t quite right to be a semi, and it was taking far too long to reach us. Our home is also situated under one of the air routes to Newark airport, but I could tell the sound was not coming from a plane or a helicopter, at least not a plane or helicopter in good shape.

Finally the noise became so loud, I had to go outside and investigate. I looked up and around until I spotted the source. It did not take long and I could not believe my eyes. A measly fifty feet above the pine tree in our front yard was a blimp. It dipped and rose. It shimmied. The engine sputtered, groaned then roared.

I stood transfixed, mouth agape. I could not believe what I was seeing.

“Are they supposed to sound like that or move like that?” My son asked. His voice shook me from my hypnotic state. My children and husband had followed me outside. Images of the Hindenburg and Lakehurst flashed before my eyes. Dear God, was that monstrosity going to come down right on top of us? Something definitely did not sound right. Where could we get quickly to get out of its way?

The engine sputtered, groaned then roared again, and the flying monolith rose higher; barely clearing the trees at the rear of our property. We were no longer in imminent danger, but the homes and people in the ailing blimp’s path still could have been. Was there someone we should call? Something we should do?

 

A few days after this incident, the front page of our local newspaper showed photos of the blimp with a headline along the lines of “Distressed Blimp Spawns Multiple Calls to Local Police”. The article went on to say there was nothing wrong with the blimp, and that was how they normally flew. Yeah right. They were so low you could practically see the sweat pouring off the pilot as he tried keeping that beast in the air.

 

 

Your Next Challenge is:

 

Something old, something new…

 

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment