Pintrest

Saturday, November 23, 2013

November 23rd

Hi, it’s Christina – 

Good Morning!

Lord it’s cold up here, but then again, I think it’s pretty cold at home right now as well. It’s crazy, yesterday we supposedly had a high of fifty-eight (I wasn’t home so I don’t know if we actually hit it), and tomorrow’s high is only supposed to be eighteen. Seriously, a forty degree swing in two days? UGH. I’m not a fan of the cold, if you haven’t guessed already.

I didn’t have the greatest weather driving up here. The further north I drove, the rained harder, and the temperature kept dropping. I was really worried I would be driving in snow by the time I got to Vermont, but other than a little bit of sleet mixed in with the rain for a few miles, I was okay.  Today they are predicting snow showers, but hopefully we’ll be able to get out ahead of them.

After my daughter’s last class, she came back to her room with one of her friends and they asked me if I could bring her friend Sammi to the bus. Sammi had called the cab company, and they told her the first available cab wasn’t until six and her bus was leaving at four-thirty. So we pile Sammi and her luggage into the car, and off we go on the two mile trip to where the bus was picking her up. Half an hour later…. I don’t know if any of you have ever tried driving around Burlington, but let me tell you, it crazy on a good day. If you try doing it on say, a day when both Champlain and UVM’s students are going home for a holiday, then throw in the just about rush hour time, it’s dang near impossible.

So we got Sammi to the bus in the nick of time, but then I was not going to attempt getting back to the school through the chaos, so I suggest to my daughter an early dinner. We took one detour to poke around in a store we had never heard of, and sorry, I can’t remember the name right now to tell you. It turned out to be a smaller version of a Michael’s or AC Moore (craft store). I picked up a few Christmas ornaments, and my daughter got stuff to make gifts for her sister and two of her cousins.

Then we went to UNO for dinner. We weren’t actual early-birders, but we did get there early, and I’m so glad we did. When we left the restaurant forty-five minutes later, the line to get in was out the door. We came back to the dorm. Rhea, my daughter’s roommate, and her parents also came back early. We had a nice visit. They left, the girls went to hang out in the common room and I went to sleep on the bean bag couch. It was a very quiet and uneventful evening, which was perfectly fine with me.

Now I’m downstairs in the common room waiting for my daughter to wake up so we can leave. If she’s not up in the next half hour, I may very well give her a little nudge. We need to make one pit stop on our way home. One of my daughter’s housemates forgot her wallet at school, and since Route 87, the road we travel on, is literally two miles from their house, they are meeting us along the route to retrieve their wallet.

This means two of my daughter’s housemates – both named Samantha ironically – live along our route home. I have a van. That van has plenty of room to take three girls and their luggage. It makes absolutely no sense for them to either have their parents drive all the way up to the college or pay for bus fare to get their girls home, and I said as much. If they wanted to chip in the $7 for their round trip ferry ticket, then great, but it would be silly for me not to pick up and drop off these girls along the way. There’s a Panera Bread close to both of their homes that can serve as our meeting point. It makes sense no?

This, to me, is logical. What doesn’t make sense to me is how this whole social media Hydra works. Take yesterday’s blog post. It was just my normal, run of the mill, post. I didn’t think there was anything overly special about it, yet the post was retweeted several times and I got eight new followers on Twitter. Mind you, Facebook tells me only thirty-seven people saw my post. Posts I really think would interest you, like the CMA one, don’t seem to reach a lot of people. Yet silly posts, like the little blurb I gave you about dancing in the rain this summer, reached five hundred people. I’m so confused!

Oh beans! I just saw a snowflake. It’s going to take me a few minutes to get this posted on all three sites, so I’d better boogie.

I hope you have a wonderfully warm day, and happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment