Pintrest

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

November 19th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina – 

Good morning!

I really need to stop reading Facebook first thing in the morning. More times than not, I stumble on a post which manages to aggravate me, and that is not the way I want to start my day.

Today I saw a post from a young person who I have known practically their entire life and I just wanted to reach through my computer screen and smack them and tell them to get their head out of their butt. (Yes, I know in proper English I should have used “he” or “she”, but I wanted the comment to remain as ambiguous as possible.) First off, what they did was so incredibly stupid and second, it was even more stupid to post about it. I just wanted to scream! Okay, I’m done ranting, even if I’m not done seething.

By this time on Friday, I will be on Route 87 a couple of hundred miles into New York State, on my way to pick up my daughter. Can you tell I’m getting excited already? She called yesterday, and she is equally as excited to come home as we are to have her home. She will be home for eight days, and almost every minute of the poor girl’s time will be accounted for; come Sunday the 1st, she’ll be more than ready to return to school.

Since I caught up on NaNoWriMo a few days ago, I have managed to stay pretty much on track. Yesterday’s milestone was 30K and I only missed it by a few words. I think I can handle a few dozen extra words added to today’s writing. My main concern is the limited time I’ll have to write all weekend.

Friday I’ll be traveling, but I am bringing my computer with me this time so I can write while my daughter’s in class on Friday. Saturday morning we are leaving her school bright and early for our trip home, and then when we get home we are having dinner at Grandma’s. Sunday is church, and then after church we are going to my son’s house to watch the Cowboys vs. Giants game, so Sunday is completely shot. I am going to be hard pressed to even get my blog out on Saturday and Sunday, let alone spend any time on Faerie Tale Queen, and I seriously doubt I will have a blog post at all on Friday.

While I’m on the subject, there probably won’t be any writing challenges over the weekend either. I know they are only ten minutes long, but coming up with them takes considerably more time than I can afford those three days. This will be the first time since I started the blog where there may be three days without a challenge, but I am not going to feel guilty. If you look at other blogs where they do writing challenges, they usually only post one challenge a week. There are some that only post challenges once a month. You would have a hard time trying to find another blog that does almost daily challenges like mine does.

So, to my non-Facebook audience, did you see my last installment of Faerie Tale Queen yesterday? Since NaNoWriMo began, every even day, I have posted a chapter of Faerie Tale Queen. Yesterday’s post was supposed to be Chapter Eight, but when I posted chapter eight, I noticed it was one of the really short chapters, so as a bonus, I posted Chapter Nine as well.

I am still waiting for you to chime in with comments as to if you are enjoying the story, which errors you are finding, and most of all, if you think I should change the lead male character’s name. If I go on much longer, I am going to get attached to Caleb and then no other name will feel right, so time is running out. Speak now or forever hold you peace.

Just a reminder, there are only a few day’s left for you to enter Heidi Angell’s contest on my blog. Also, something I’m sure you don’t need to be reminded about, but I am going to anyway; the holidays are rapidly approaching. The first night of Chanukah is a week from tomorrow and Christmas is only 36 days away. As a suggestion, books make a wonderful gift for either holiday. They even make great Secret Santa gifts.

On my website under the “LINKS” tab, I have several direct links to some Indie books as well as to my own books. There are a few romance novels, some straight fiction, a horror novel and a couple of mysteries which might interest you or someone on your list.

Since time has been at a premium lately, I have not been able to spend any of it on my website, so I have not had the chance to add the following book. If you want a fun, silly, gift for someone, you may want to consider the newly released Tickle Me Funny by John Sweeney Jr. The book is so new, it won’t even be on Amazon.com for another few days, but you can get your copy now by clicking on the title if you’d like. You’ll laugh, you’ll groan, there are some spots where it is “udderly” ridiculous. If George Carlin was still alive, the book would make him chuckle. I’m thinking it may be a good stocking stuffers for my son and husband.

Off to Ireland… I hope you have a wonderful day, and happy writing!


Your Last Challenge:

 

You find yourself in a Groundhog Day loop…

 

(For those of you who might not know, Groundhog Day was a movie from 1993 Starring Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell. In the movie, Murray plays Phil Connors, a weatherman – and a bit of a jerk – who is unhappy he has to cover the annual Groundhog Day event in Punxsutawney, and he gets sucked into a time loop. He has to keep repeating the day until he gets it right.)

 

One more tick mark on the calendar, one more entry in my journal. Today was the 353rd April Fool’s Day in a row. Two more weeks and I will have been stuck in this loop for an entire year.

One way I could look at it is, technically, today is my 400th birthday, because this is my 401st April Fool’s Day, but even that thought isn’t cheering me up. Birthdays tend to become a little mundane after you’ve celebrated so many.

After the first two weeks in this loop, I became tired of celebrating my birthday every day and started to try and find my way out. I alternated as many things as I could think of, different cake, different gifts, not asking for gifts, different venue, refusing a party all together. Nothing worked. I’d go to bed at night and when I woke up the next morning, it was my birthday all over again.

Since I wasn’t having any luck breaking the cycle, I spent the next ten April Fool’s Days trying to figure out how I ended up in the loop in the first place. I retraced my steps, mimicked everything, down to the last minute detail, of the first April Fool’s Day, but to no avail. I had no clue how I ended up in this mess and no clue how to get out.

Remembering the old movie Groundhog Day, and being the eternal optimist that I am, I took a page out of Phil Connors’ book and decided to spend my time more productively, to better myself. Like Phil, I had always regretted not learning how to play the piano, so, I began lessons at a local shop. I’m no Chopin, but I can now play well enough where I’m happy with my abilities. I have taken the time to read books I had always intended on reading, but never had the time.

I can honestly say, I am a much more rounded person now than I was a year ago. Yet, unlike in the movie where at this point the loop is broken for Phil, I still remain, adding one more tick mark to the calendar, and one more entry in my journal.

 

Your Next Challenge is:

 

What fictional character would you like to meet in real life and why?

 

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment