Pintrest

Sunday, October 20, 2013

October 20th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina – 

Good morning. So the reason I was being so cryptic was on Friday I drove up to Vermont and picked my daughter up from school so she could surprise my nephew at his going away party. To say he, and a whole bunch of other folks, were surprised would be an understatement. It made it worth the 650 mile trek and the 19 hour day.

I will be bringing her back up to school today after church because she has class tomorrow morning, but this time, I will not be making the trip all in one shot. I will be crashing in my daughter’s dorm tonight and then driving back tomorrow, so hopefully I won’t be as dead come Tuesday.

This also means there really will not be a blog tomorrow. I’m not even bringing my computer with me, so I’m not lying this time. You will have until Tuesday to respond to today’s post.

My daughter is currently in the kitchen getting on her baking fix with some sour cream, chocolate chip muffins. Other than her animals, I think kitchen privileges are what she misses most while at school. Yesterday she made a batch of brownies to bring to the party, but apparently our dog missed my daughter’s baking, and he helped himself when we weren’t looking. He’s fine, but we needed to scramble to come up with a dessert. We took the brownies he did not eat, mixed them with some vanilla ice cream and refroze the mixture. Come dessert time we were able to scoop brownie chunk ice cream. It was a big hit.

Well, I have to get ready for church and pack an overnight bag, so I should get going. I hope you have a wonderful day, and happy writing!
 

Your Last Challenge was:


It was so good to see him/her/them again…

 
At first I didn’t recognize him or perhaps, subconsciously I did, because I continued to stare. He had changed quite a bit, but then again, so had I. Then I heard him laugh at something the store clerk said, and I knew it was him; Josh, my first kiss, my first love, my first broken heart.

He had matured into a handsome man. Gone was the lanky awkwardness of the boy who had grown far too much, far too quickly for his equilibrium to keep pace. He had filled out, but was not overweight by any stretch of the imagination. His hair was still blonde, although liberally streaked with grey, and his azure blue eyes still sparkled with joy and a hint of mischief.

I worried my lip while I debated whether or not I should say anything. He wouldn’t recognize me. I was hardly the girl he knew thirty years ago. Then he turned and saw me. He smiled politely and nodded his head in greeting, the way you would any stranger you met in a store, and started to walk passed me. I sighed. I hadn’t really expected a different reaction, but I had hoped. Well, it was nice seeing him again.

As I put my purchase on the counter, I hear, “Karen?”

I turn and smile, “Hi, Josh.”

 

Your Next Challenge is:

 
 

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment