Pintrest

Saturday, June 8, 2013

June 8th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –


Well I survived yesterday without having to get out a canoe and paddles, but just barely. The rain was incredible! It started raining hard early yesterday morning and it didn’t let up until sometime during the night. I haven’t heard any official weather reports this morning, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we got five inches. It was intense! I spent most of the day with soggy feet…YUCK!

Last night my daughters and I went to Verizon because all three of our phones were due for an upgrade, and I did it…I finally relented and upgraded to a smart phone. Not that I have it yet, mind you. As usual, they were not able to move my contacts over to my new phone, even after trying for almost two hours. I have no idea why this happens to me, but ever since my first phone, Verizon has never been able to transfer them and I end up typing them all in again manually. Needless to say, I have lost MANY of my contacts over the years because of typing them in incorrectly. Since this time I had over 200 contacts in my phone, I REFUSED to let it slide, so I left my old phone and my new phone with the guys at Verizon and asked them to figure it out. Hopefully I will have my phone back sometime today.

Today I will be spending the day cleaning and getting the house and some of the food ready for my mom’s birthday party tomorrow. We are just having the immediate family, but that still comes out to just under twenty people. Everyone, please say a little prayer that the weather holds out so I can have the party outside! Twenty people inside my house is a wee bit tight, although we have had many more on occasion.

So, what did you find?

Yesterday’s challenge was:

 

Look what I found…

 

The other day I went down to the basement hunting for something. I was poking around the shelves, peaking in crates and boxes, because God forbid I label anything, and I came across an old box I did not recognize. I thought this was very strange because a few years ago our basement flooded during a storm and we lost a whole lot of stuff. Anyway, I pulled the box out, brought it under some light, sat down and opened the box. It was filled with papers, old papers. On top were some essays I had written while I was in college. Beneath them were some tattered, spiral bound notebooks with short stories and the beginning of a novel I had written in my younger years. They made me chuckle. My writing style had changed dramatically over the years. Finally, at the bottom of the box were dozens of old letters. Letters my friend had written me while he was in boot camp and from the various places he was stationed. Letters from my boyfriend, now husband, he had written me while I was vacationing in Maine with a friend and when I was in Europe for three weeks after graduation. At that point, I had completely forgotten what I had initially gone to the basement to find. I gathered up the letters, climbed back upstairs and said to my husband, “Look what I found.”

 

I only wish this story was true. During hurricane Irene, our basement did flood, and we did lose a ton of stuff, and there was a box which contained exactly what I said it contained in the story above, but unfortunately all of it was destroyed. I couldn’t read old stories I had written. I have no more copies of the letters from so long ago, and I also lost the only copy of the very first story I had published. It was items like those and the photos we lost which made Irene so devastating to us. The rest of the stuff lost was all replaceable, and in the end, it was just “stuff”.


Your Next Challenge is:

 

Thank you very much…

 

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment