Pintrest

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

June 4th Challenge

Hi it’s Christina –

Good Morning! Sorry about the screw-up with yesterday’s blog. I had everything prepped and I was ready to do my final read through, and I got distracted. It wasn’t until I pulled up my computer this morning when I realized I never hit the submit buttons on any of the sites. UGH!!

Yesterday I mentioned a new marketing thingy I’m involved in; this time it has to do with Goodreads Listopia. This is a pretty neat thing. On Goodreads (a site for book lovers – both readers and authors – you should check it out), there are literally thousands of lists of books, in various categories and genres. You can either vote for books already on the list, or you can add books yourself which you think fit the list’s criteria, and then people vote on the books. For example: A Second Chance is on the “Debut Novels of 2013” list (in the romance category); and both A Second Chance and Corporate Blues are on the “Romance Heroes and Heroines over 35” list.

Look, I'm # 3!!!!
By people either voting for your book, marking it as “I want to read”, or rating your book (if they read it), the book moves up in the rankings. On the Debut list, A Second Chance was #325 when it started, but as of this morning, after a few folks marked it as “I want to read”, it’s now ranked #92. The theory is, the book will get noticed if it is in the top 100 on these lists.

So basically, the event is a list of all the Listopia entries. You go through the list, find books you have either already read or that you feel you would enjoy reading, and you go and vote for them. It’s simple, but time consuming. I’ll probably be going through the lists for the rest of the month; voting for books I’ve read or want to read, and adding my own books to the various lists.

Speaking of time consuming, I’m going to be late for work if I don’t end this blog now and get to the writing challenge.

I hope you have a fantastic day, and happy writing!

Your Last Challenge was:

That sure went to hell in a hand basket in a hurry.

I should have known better. Things were running just a little too smoothly. All the adult guests were milling around, chatting, and enjoying not having to supervise their children. The presents were all stacked beautifully upon the table. The masterpiece of a cake was proudly displayed upon another table. The various games for the children were met with enthusiasm and squeals of joy. It was now time for the piñata.

A large circle of onlookers formed. As is only right, the birthday boy was the first to be blindfolded. We spun him around and around, then pointed him in the general direction of the papier-mâché dinosaur. Words of direction and encouragement were shouted from the crowd. He swayed like a drunk as he stumbled and
bumbled his way, swinging his bat wildly as he went.

One forceful swing knocked him off balance and into a bystander. The person fell backward, clipping the edge of a protruding gift on the table. The gift worked as a seesaw, and catapulted another present high into the air. The partygoers gasped and I closed my eyes. I knew exactly where that present would land.

Your Next Challenge is:

Scenario: At the zoo. A young woman. There is music. Add surprise.

You have ten minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count, and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment