Pintrest

Sunday, September 14, 2014

September 14th Challenge

Hi it’s Christina –

Good evening – first time I’ve said that to y’all. Sorry the blog is so late, I was playing today. A friend of mine has written a book, and since I absolutely hated the cover his publisher made for his last book (a cartoonish depiction for a serious story – think, Car 54, Where are You?), I made a mock-up cover for his newest book. I know, it was brassy of me, but I know what it’s like to be stuck with a cover your publisher forces on you.

Since he’s publishing this one himself, and only in Kindle format at first, he does not have to get publisher approval. And, since the cover has already received his wife’s approval, and he has already posted it on his page, I doubt he’ll mind if I give you a sneak peek.


So, what do you think? This is only the Kindle cover. I sent him the full paperback cover, with the blurb and author bio too. 

As if getting distracted by the cover wasn’t enough, I spent the last eight hours editing his book. I just sent it over to him, complete, but since we have not had time to discuss the edits yet, I will refrain from commenting.

Well, maybe just a little…

A number of years ago, Ron and his wife Donna purchased an old Victorian trunk at a yard sale. The trunk came with a tale and a resident, a ghost named Mary. The book he wrote is a short, less than 20K words, journal of his experiences living with a hundred plus year old ghost; a ghost who has now become part of the family, a friend, a confidant. Some accounts are hair raising, some are laugh out loud funny.

The book is short because it is only a snippet of time, from June through August, but there will be more installments in the future. Hopefully, like the cover received Donna’s approval, the book itself will receive Mary’s approval.

I’ll let you know as soon as it becomes available.

I wonder if Ron would consider bequeathing me Mary. I miss Larry, our resident ghost who has left us for greener pastures, so it would be nice having Mary around to fill his place. Wouldn’t Paulie just love that? LOL.

Okay, since it is getting late, I really should get going on making dinner. I hope you have a wonderful remainder of the day, and happy writing!

Your Next Challenge is -  a random quote, from a random page, of a random book I pulled off my shelf. Bonus points for using it as your first or last sentence:

“You can never know how much that glimpse of you made my day, reminding me of what life is all about.”

You have ten minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count, and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment