Monday, July 28, 2014

July 28th

Hi it’s Christina –

Our house before Sandy
Knocked down our tree
Good Morning! Because of something that happened this morning, I have decided today’s blog is going to be very different. Instead of my usual, I have chosen to tell you a true tale; whether or not you choose to believe, is entirely up to you. Some of the facts I learned after the events occurred, but so as not to confuse you, I added the details within the story.

In February of 1998, we purchased the house we currently live in from a little old lady named Althea. Althea was an only child, raised by her mother and her stepfather. She was married to a man named Larry, and they did not have any children of their own. Althea’s stepfather lived with her and Larry before he passed away. Some time after Larry passed away, Althea decided she wanted to move to a warmer climate, and told us she, her ancient dog, and her caregiver were Florida bound. (We later found out her care giver moved Althea, the dog, and all Althea’s money, not to Florida, but to Bogota, but that’s a whole other story.)

Shortly after moving in, odd things began to happen in the house. Cabinet doors would open, lights would turn on and off, pots would fall off their hooks on the rack over the stove. In the tiny hall between the hallway and the main bathroom, right in front of our linen closet, you would see a shadow on the rug, but if you got close, you could no longer see the shadow. Lys, who was three at the time would not walk across that three foot section on rug. Anytime she needed to use the bathroom or bathe, we would have to carry her over the spot. (That changed one night after she got out of bed, walked over to the linen closet, opened the door and looked for the ‘angel’, but again, that’s a whole other story.)

The house was very ‘active’, but never once did any of us feel threatened. We began calling our unseen visitor Larry (because we didn’t know about the stepdad at the time). When Althea moved out, she left many of her possessions behind, items we kept and used until we could afford to buy new ones of our own, so we figured Larry decided to stay behind as well. And, other than Larry not caring for my using his potholder rack to hang my pots – they’d get unhooked and crash down several times a week – no the rack wouldn’t come down, the pots would actually fall off the hooks – we had no issue with Larry sharing the house with us.

The February after we moved in, our youngest daughter Dani Rose was born. At the time, my mother was also living with us while she was waiting for her new house to be built. Our little three bedroom ranch was packed to the hilt. PJ, our son, had his own room. Lys and my mother shared a room, and Dani was in the bedroom with my husband and me.

One night while I was sleeping, I was shaken awake by a hand on my shoulder. I glanced down at my infant daughter, sleeping soundly between my husband and me. My husband was sound asleep. My bedroom door was closed, and I could not see anyone else in my room.

I got up, thinking one of the other kids needed me. I poke my head into Lys’ room, both her and my mother are asleep. I’m was about to open the door to PJ’s room, but then I could hear him snoring through the door, so I didn’t bother. I then wandered around the house to see if anything was amiss. I even went into the basement, nothing. Then, right before I decided to return to bed, I opened the door in the family room which leads to the garage. My husband had forgotten to close the garage door before he went to bed. I close the door, and grumble to Larry the whole way back to bed about how I did not appreciate being woken up at three in the morning because the garage door was left open.

At dinner that night, I told the family about what had happened to me the night before. My husband, who chose to ignore everything that had been happening in the house for the past year, even though he had experiences of his own, thought I was crazy. This kids thought it was nice of Larry to tell me, and my mom kept her opinion to herself.

The following night when we sat down to dinner, my husband plopped our local newspaper on the table in front of my plate, and told me to read the police blotter. It turns out, the night we had left our garage door open, several houses on our street had been broken into. Our house would have been easy access had I not got up, turned lights on while I investigated, and ultimately closed the garage door.

This morning, when I woke up and brought Colby out to be emptied, I found my husband had forgotten to close the garage door again before he went to bed. That was when I realized how much I missed “Larry”. Even though I couldn’t see him, well at least not clearly, his presence was definitely felt; and you can feel the absence of it now that he is gone. The house somehow felt safer when he was here. It’s like I’m mourning the loss of a family member, even though I never met him.

A number of years ago, Larry decided to leave, and I have a theory as to why. Our ghost, who I now believe he is actually Larry’s father-in-law, but I don’t know his name, never had any children of his own. Althea became his daughter when she was around ten or twelve years old. Then when he moved in with Althea and Larry, and they didn’t have any children, he again was denied the privilege of having little ones in his house. When I showed up with a seven and three year old, and then a baby, he finally got to have the children he always yearned for. When my kids got older, he decided he had fulfilled his bucket list and was ready to move on.

I realize many of you do not believe in ghosts. I also realize by me telling you this tale, you may very well think I am crazy and no longer wish to follow me. I understand, and there are no hard feelings.

A few of my followers have experienced Larry first hand, several have heard stories of him over the years, and one follower, a friend of mine from high school, is actually related to him through marriage. It’s from her I was able to find out more information about the previous occupants of my home.

Okay, time to leave this tale to work on my other tale. I hope you have a great day, and happy writing!