Pintrest

Monday, January 6, 2014

January 6th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –

Good Morning! Hopefully in the next few weeks there are going to be some changes around here. Not necessarily good changes or changes I wanted, but unavoidable changes.

We have come to a point financially where I can no long write full time. I was given this opportunity through the generosity of my great aunt, who upon her death, left me a little bit of money; money I was able to stretch to subsidize my lack of contribution to the household funds for almost two years. Those funds have now completely run out and since my book sales cannot yet account for a livable income, I need to find a real “job”.

I have decided to try for a part-time position in retail. I have a LONG retail history, often throughout my life, retail jobs were held in conjunction with my “real” jobs. The reason I decided to go this route was, quite frankly, I missed the daily interaction with people. I figured by working part-time in retail, I would get that character building fodder (‘cause Heaven knows the characters you meet when working retail), and still have time to write.

The most significant change I anticipate with getting a job is I do not think I will be able to keep up with the DAILY writing challenges, especially if I get the 5:00 am shift I requested. I promise you, I will make every attempt to keep the blog going, but it may take some juggling until I can get into a rhythm of working again after being home for two years.

This is provided I actually get hired. I am not counting my chickens before they are hatched, I just didn’t want you to be surprised if you weren’t seeing posts as often as you were used to.

Okay, on that slightly sad note, I am going to get going. If my time is limited, I have some stories to work on. I wish you all a wonderful day & happy writing!

Your Last Challenge was:



I close my eyes and begin to imagine. At first, there’s only darkness. Then a faint distant cry of a lone gull pierces the nothingness. As the gull draws closer, his voice is joined by the repetitive lapping of the gently waves.

I relax further into my chair as the warmth of the sun begins to penetrate my frozen body, chasing every last trace of chill away. The scent of coconut teases me, but I cannot tell if it is from the oiled bronzed bodies or from the umbrellaed drink which has mysteriously appeared beside me. I smile around the straw as I take my first sip of the frosty fruity delight.

On a sigh, I let my hand drop to the side of the chair so I can drag my fingers through the warm powdery sand. I’m startled when something licks my hand and I sit bolt upright. I blink. Then I blink again. Gone are the palm trees swaying in the gentle breeze. Gone is the white sand, the tropical drink and the laughing bird. A shiver races up my spine as I realize it’s still January in New Jersey, and I won’t be warm any time soon.



Your Next Challenge is:

It was nice while it lasted…

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment