Pintrest

Friday, January 24, 2014

January 24th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –

Greetings from the Arctic Circle – at least that’s where I feel like I am. Let’s just say I would never survive living in Vermont year round. -9 not counting the wind chill. YUCK! What I am surprised about is we have more snow at home than they do here. What’s up with that? Driving through New York, the ground had from a dusting to 3” maybe, and up here there’s only 4”-5”. Does anyone else find that strange?

Even though it took me 2½ hours to get out of New Jersey (it usually takes an hour), I made really good time. I pulled up to the ferry dock just as the ferry was docking, but as great as that sounds, it actually put me way ahead of schedule. Lys wasn’t getting out of her last class until 5:00, and at the rate I was going I would arrive at her dorm at 3:30. So, rather than sit in the car for an hour and a half freezing, I detoured into McDonalds. I had originally planned on just grabbing a $1 coffee, which is surprisingly tasty, but then I say they had 2 cherry pies for $1 on their menu. They only have apple pie, which I really don’t care for, on the menu at home, so I splurged. I sat in McDonalds drinking my coffee, munching on my cherry pies and playing around on my Kindle for a little over an hour, then continued my journey.

I got to the college a little before five. Lys said she was back and to come on in. I said hi, dropped my stuff, she said bye and headed off to dinner with her friends. No big deal, I was full from my coffee and cherry pies – yes I ate both of them, they’re small – and I’d get to chat with Lys the whole drive home.

I am happy to report, my back is not too terrible today. Believe it or not, sleeping on a beanbag couch is really quite comfortable. You can adjust it just right so everything is supported and you don’t have any real pressure points. If I had room in my house, I would seriously consider getting one for home.

Lys’ class ends at 10:45, so we should be on the road headed home by 11:00. Wouldn’t it be nice if we were able to time the ferry just as well on the ride home? Yeah right, like I’d be that lucky. So between having to get gas, potty breaks, and traffic – unfortunately we’ll be driving during Friday rush hour – we should make it home around seven. I know I’ll be shot by then and will probably just go to bed, but then I’ll get up early, clean the house and start baking the desserts for tomorrow night’s dinner.

Fair warning, I have a lot to do tomorrow, so there probably won’t be a writing challenge. Now on to yesterday’s challenge. Could Dani have picked more random words? That’s what I get for asking a teenager. LOL. I hope you all have a wonderful day & happy writing!

Your Last Challenge was:

Write a story containing the following: Pineapple, Chipmunk & Burrito (you can blame Dani for this one)

I was sitting on the back deck of the resort, sipping a frozen pineapple drink, munching on a burrito, and watching a beautiful Mexican sunset over the water. It was a perfect evening; warm, a gentle tropical breeze blowing, the complete antithesis from what I had left behind.

I finished eating and sat back to enjoy my frozen delight. Why is it tropical drinks always taste better when consumed on a tropical beach? Perhaps the frilly umbrella has something to do with it. I was completely relaxed. My belly was full and I was being lulled by the wave lapping against the shore. Then I hear a strange noise coming from the bushes along the patio.

Considering my last dinner guests were two four inch salamanders and some type of an annoying buzzard hell bent on making the salamanders her dinner, I was just a little concerned over the racket coming from the bush. Just to be safe, I folded my legs up under me on the chair. Whatever was in the bush was noisy, but I doubted it was very large, so I wouldn’t be needing my legs for a hasty escape.

Then in a flurry of squeaks, squeals, and brownish red fur, two chipmunks come tumbling out onto the patio, and landed in a soft thump where my feet had rested just seconds before. They paused for a moment, looking slightly confused, spotted me, then promptly ran off. I laughed at their antics, then thought to myself, since when do they have chipmunks in Mexico?

Your Next Challenge is:

Convince us something mundane or plain or not well loved is the most wonderful thing in the world. (You can pick an object, a task, a food or whatever you’d like – the possibilities are endless.)


You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment