Pintrest

Monday, January 13, 2014

January 13th Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –

The realization of I’m leaving in less than forty-eight hours and I have NOTHING done yet just hit me. It’s all little things that need to be done, but each of the things will take time, a commodity which I have precious little left. I did manage to get several days’ worth of meals prepared yesterday so my husband and daughter don’t need to worry about dinners while I’m gone; and, even though I intend to be on the road by five on Wednesday morning, they will have dinner all ready for them when they get home on Wednesday night. One of the things I prepared was stew, so all I have to do Wednesday morning is dump three frozen ZipLock bags into the crock pot and set it to low. All my hubby will need to provide is a nice loaf of bread to go with the stew.

He also has a chunk of pork marinating in beer and apple cider vinegar, which will go in the crock pot Thursday morning to make pulled pork sandwiches Thursday night. As always, Friday night will be pizza; and then he has a spicy chicken dish he’ll need to sauté then serve over boil-in-bag rice for Saturday. Nothing should take more than fifteen minutes worth of work, which is good because the last thing he wants to do after working all day is more work when he gets home. I also feel a whole lot less guilty for leaving them, knowing I provided them meals for while I was gone. (Sorry, I guess I’m still a little old-school there.)

Okay, as I said, I have quite a bit to do, so I should get a move on. I wish you all a glorious day & happy writing!

Your Last Challenge was:

End a story with “So that’s why you should never mix (insert items of your choosing here).”

(I’m going to preface this by saying this is COMPLETE fiction.)

For weeks I had been planning a large barbecue at my house for a group of writers, agents and publishers from the area. It was going to be a chance for them all to meet, network and share their various projects. I was so excited. The response was fantastic, and in a few short hours, I was going to be entertaining over fifty people.

The weather was picture perfect. The tent, tables and chairs had all been set up the night before, so the yard was done. All the food was prepped and ready to go. Things were right on schedule.

Then I notice I have several grey hairs poking out of my head in various places. Oh, this would not do. A majority of the people coming, I had never met in person; and although I am not normally a vain person, I really didn’t want them to see me for the first time looking dramatically different than my professional photo.

I glance at the clock. Two hours before the first guests arrive. I can slap some color in my hair, and while it’s processing, I can continue to get the last few things finished. I get out my trusty box of Miss Clairol and start the transformation process. I glance at the clock again; and hour and a half to go.

I can still do this. All that really needs to happen now is the chicken needs to go on the grill so it can slow cook. Since the grill needs a good fifteen minutes to heat up to the proper temperature, I go outside and light it. Then POOF. A large flash. I’m left blinking, trying to figure out what just happened. I horrible smell invades my nostrils. Oh dear God, I know that smell. It’s the smell of burnt hair! I race into the house and look into the bathroom mirror. Thankfully, the hair on my head is still in place, but I am seriously lacking eyebrows, and my eyelashes have been reduced to brittle charred stubs. I wanted to cry.

So that's why you should never, and I mean NEVER, mix Miss Clairol and a barbecue grill.

Your Next Challenge is:

On the whisper of the wind you could hear…


You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment