Pintrest

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

August 12th Challenge

Hi it’s Christina –

Today the sun is not shining quite as brightly. The laughter in the air is muted. People are passing with an awkward smile on their lips and tears in their eyes, because a whirlwind of comedic energy has left this world. Just before noon, Pacific time, yesterday 63 year old actor/comedian Robin Williams was found dead. Tragically, it appears he took his own life. My heart breaks finding out a man who gave such joy to millions around the world was in such pain.

Although I am greatly sadden by this loss, as I’m sure many of you, in his honor, today’s blog will be a tribute to his life and career, and not the circumstances of his death. He was a man who truly spanned the generations with his timeless comic wit. My grandparents and my children all laughed along with Robin Williams. Even though he is no longer with us, he will continue to brighten lives for generations to come.

First a little background. He was born in Illinois, spent his early years in Michigan, and then finished his high school years in California. His mom was a retired model and his father was a bigwig for Ford. Robin studied at Julliard.


Supposedly he got his start on the short-lived Richard Pryor Show, but I cannot attest to that. The show ran for only a month, and since I was eleven at the time, I highly doubt I was allowed to watch it, even though it was on prime time.

I do however remember his next appearance, the one which catapulted his career; and yes, I watch it when it aired, not in reruns. I remember experiencing the episode as well. I was laughing so hard my Baba came into the room and asked me what was going on. I tried to explain, but she didn’t quite understand. She laughed, but only because I was laughing. I think it was a cultural thing. Now if I had happened to be at my Gram’s house instead while it had aired, she would have been cackling along with me.

I know this would have been true because it would have been the same reaction as when we watched the spin-off show which was created from that character.

UGH, this is difficult. I don’t want to mention any shows or characters because I wanted to do a Robin Williams trivia as today’s challenge. (Kind of like the kids TV shows I did the other week.) Maybe I should just go to the challenge.

I hope you have a peaceful day, give an extra hug and “I love you” before parting, and happy writing!

Your Next Challenge is:

Identify as many as you can of the shows, movies, and/or characters Robin Williams played. Pick any one you would like to talk about. It could be a synopsis of a story line, a fond memory tied in with the show, or if you happen to have one, a funny Robin Williams story.

Now since he made over sixty movies, plus stuff he did for TV, I obviously will not be including his full line of work, but here’s a random sampling. Good luck identifying them. (I’ll give you a hint, they are pretty much in order, and I’ve given you the year they were released – maybe it will trigger a memory.)

1) 1977 (You heard my story on this one.)


2) 1978 (Yup, this one too.)


3) 1980 (Adorable!)


4) 1981 (Was never a fan of the show.)


5) 1982 (Not a favorite.)


6) 1983 (Don’t know how I missed this one. I’m going to have to dig it up.)


7) 1984 (Vaguely recall watching this. Guess it didn’t make a huge impression.)


8) 1986 (Oh my!)


9) 1987 (What a great movie!)


10) 1989 (Loved it! This was a date night movie. Just hubby, me and PJ-to-be.)


11) 1992 (NO ONE could have done it better!)


12) 1992 (I wonder if the based the name on his personality?)


13) 1993 (Watched this one dozens of times.)


14) 1995 (This one still wigs me out.)


15) 1995 (There should be laws against having this much funny in one room.)


16) 1996 (One of my all-time favorites.)


17) 1996 (Found it a little disturbing.)


18) 1997 (Well deserved Oscar.)


19) 1997 (I know it’s silly, but I found this one hysterical.)


20) 1998 (Endearing.)


21) 1999 (I did not like this movie at all.)


22) 2002 (Never had the opportunity, but wish I had.)


23) 2005 (It was strange hearing Genie’s voice in this character.)


24) 2006 (Seen this a bunch too, and I just heard they just finished making #3. It’s going to be released in December.)


25) 2006 (Now here I liked it.)


26) 2007 (We have this movie, but the girls saw it already and won’t watch it again with me, so I haven’t seen it yet.)


27) 2009 (Same comment as above.)


28) 2013 (Still haven’t seen this one, but I want to.)


29) 2014 (It’s a shame this got cancelled in May.)


30) 2014 (First I heard about this one. I’ll have to check it out.)



You have as much time as you need today. There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count, and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment