Pintrest

Thursday, February 12, 2015

February 12th, 2015 Challenge

Hi, it’s Christina –

Good Morning! Well, I’m better, still not 100%, but definitely better. Just in time too.

For the next three days I get to play florist. For obvious reasons, this time of year is crazy busy for florists, and our local florist, B & C, is no exception. Normally Ron, the owner, brings in a few extra drivers on Valentine’s Day itself to help with deliveries. That was what I was originally supposed to do last year, but it came up in conversation that a zillion years ago I briefly worked at a flower shoppe, I was asked to help in the shop itself.

Now I’m no floral designer, but I can clean roses with the best of them. I also kick some serious butt in the customer service arena. I love it. For a few days a year, and ONLY a few days a year, I’m out in the hustle and bustle of retail humanity. In small doses, it is exhilarating and invigorating.

You get a unique perspective into the human condition when you work retail. I’m allotted insights I cannot get from just being out in public or from events like my book signings. Last year’s group of customers gave me traits I was able to incorporate into some of my characters, which made them more authentic. Experiencing the wide-eyed looks of confusion (or in one case terror) first hand when the men enter the shop, and then the sheer gratitude when you simplify their life by suggesting something perfect, is priceless fodder.

Three to five days a year working retail is just about all I can take. Luckily, it’s all I need.

I killed it yesterday on Twitter – well, “killed it” by my standards that is. I got fifty eight new followers, and over a hundred retweets. Considering previous days were less than a dozen of each, even you could say it was a banner day. Between the new followers, and going back to make sure I followed people who followed me, I am now getting around five tweets a second. There is absolutely no way I will ever be able to see all the tweets flying by, and I have resolved myself to just let it go. I scan through and see what catches my eye, then act on it how I see fit.

I am not going to let Twitter overwhelm me anymore. I can’t let it, or I’ll end up scrapping the whole thing, which I can’t do because my Amazon ranking has been steadily climbing since I embarked on this campaign. (Shameless Plug: My books would make great Valentine’s gifts for your Sweetie.)

Okay, I need to shower, do my hair and make-up and unearth my “sensible” shoes, so I should go. I hope you have a wonderful day, and happy writing!

Your Next Challenge is:

The morning fog caressed her skin as she stared out over the water…

You have ten minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count, and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment