Pintrest

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Day 9 Challenge - April 26, 2013

OH GOOD GRIEF! I WROTE THE BLOG BUT FORGOT TO POST IT! Because the site doesn’t have spell check, I write the blog in Word first, then cut and paste. Guess I got distracted by a shiny object yesterday, so you’ll be getting 2 today. I’ll wait a little while to post the 2nd one in the off chance someone out there is actually doing the challenges and needs some time.

Hi, it’s Christina –
What a GLORIOUS day in New Jersey! The sky is so blue it hurts your eyes to look at it, and we’re supposed to be hitting 65 today. I don’t know about you, but I am more than ready for Spring to stay.

You would think, by day 9, someone would have either taken up one of the writing challenges OR given me advice on how to get Networkedblog to actually link to my website so I don’t have to do dual posts every day. Still not discouraged though…
Here was Day 8’s Challenge:

You’re eating an ice cream cone. I have never had, nor will I ever be able to have one, so let me live vicariously through you and please describe it to me.

The best part is the anticipation of a treat I don’t allow myself too often to indulge. Ice cream is a memory of on a hot summer day, walking hand in hand with my Grandfather so he could surprise me with something special. We’d enter the sweet smelling shop and the ching ching of the bell would make me smile. My eyes would go wide and I’d worry my bottom lip while surveying, to what my young mind imagined, and endless variety of choices. Did I want chocolate or vanilla or strawberry? Perhaps something more exotic like mint chocolate chip or fudge swirl or butter pecan? The choice had to be perfect because it was a rare treat indeed. The jovial old man at the counter asks me what I would like. The moment has arrived. I look to my grandfather, but he only lifts his eyebrows and nods toward the man. Last minute vacillations volley in my brain before I finally decide on mint chocolate chip on a sugar cone. I practically bounce out of my red Keds while waiting for the man to construct my decadent delight. He hands it to me and I barely suppress a squeal. The first lick of the cold, creamy, minty confection is pure bliss. Then I nip at the ice cream edge which over hangs the cone so it won’t fall and the crunch of the frozen chocolate chips adds a new dimension to the experience. Although I want to take my time and savor every second, I am forced to rush because within minutes the evening heat proves too much for my frozen dessert and it begins to melt and dribble down my fingers.

I don’t know about you, but 10 minutes seems to get shorter and shorter. I’m not even sure I really answered my own challenge, because I barely described the ice cream. Oh well, just like my characters, my stories take me, not I them. OK, on to the next challenge, and I can’t take credit for this one. It is the challenge we did at WWW, but it was a good one so I’m going to use it.

If you could go back to any point in your life, knowing now what you didn’t know then…

You have 10 minutes (be honest). There is no right or wrong, just write. Spelling and punctuation don’t count and NO ONE is allowed to criticize what someone else has written. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment